Chapter Seventy-Two

"Damian, are you nervous?"

"No. Why would I be nervous?"

"Because we've never done this before."

His eyes flicker with amusement as he replies, "Sweetheart, there are a lot of things we've never done before."

He lifts his elbow, allowing me to wrap my fingers around his bicep. We strut into the gymnasium, where our senior prom awaits.

In all my time at Starkton High, I never envisioned I'd attend a silly rite of passage like prom. Social functions aren't my thing. I prefer cozy evenings in with good books and endless cups of coffee.

But when Damian asked me to go with him, I couldn't say no.

"Would you like a drink?" he offers, nodding toward the refreshment table.

"Please," I answer, already sweating under the fluorescent lights.

He kisses my cheek before squeezing through a group of grinding teenagers. Chuckling, I turn away, only to find myself face to face with Effie.

"Well, aren't you the belle of the ball?" Her dark eyes go wide as she stares me up and down. "I feel like the ugly duckling in comparison to you."

"Don't be dramatic," I toss back. "You're stunning, Effie."

In a body-hugging, bright red dress, she looks beautiful and classy. Her burgundy hair has been curled to perfection, cascading down her back in bouncy ringlets.

I chose a simple ivory gown that cinches my waist and flows out at the hips. Like most of my wardrobe, it was a thrift store find. In another life, I think it might have been a wedding dress.

"Damian is eyeing you like a hungry wolf," Effie comments, glancing at my date, who is balancing three plastic cups of punch in his hand.

"Good." I wink at my friend and then relieve Damian by taking one of the cups.

He furrows his brow, watching us skeptically. "What are you ladies talking about?"

"Nothing," she and I say in unison, and then both giggle like children.

In the past few months, I've grown fond of Effie. I haven't had the best luck with female friends—one died, one was evil, and one betrayed me—but I have faith that Effie and I will remain close. I'm excited to attend Blackwell University with her and Damian in the fall.

I'm excited to finally escape this wretched town.

On the other side of the gymnasium, I spot Jessica with Evan, Janelle, and Diego—her old crowd. I'd be bluffing if I said I wasn't surprised to see her with them. She always told me how exhausting it was to live up to their unrealistic standards, and how she just wanted friends with whom she could be herself around.