1 4 | N O S E

[4.18]

"you're gonna laugh at this story one day"

On one of his rare days off, Hotch had decided to go to the park with Jack, given that it was his weekend with him

On one of his rare days off, Hotch had decided to go to the park with Jack, given that it was his weekend with him. It had been a wonderful day — they had gone out to breakfast at a diner, bought Jack some new books from the bookstore, and now the two Hotchner boys were kicking around a soccer ball. Well, Jack was kicking. Hotch was barely nudging the ball with his toe, knowing that the three-year-old couldn't keep up. Haley thought that Jack was a little young to be learning about sports already, but Hotch made a strong argument about how it would help his motor skills. Besides, all he was doing was playing with a ball.

They had been playing for some time when Hotch noticed someone fly by on a skateboard. Given the lack of a helmet, he was easily able to identify the girl as Florence. He was distracted by his thoughts for a moment, wondering if he should call her over and introduce her to Jack — everyone else on the team had met him. And there was no doubt in his mind that she would get along with a preschooler.

"Daddy, watch out!"

It was embarrassing, really. He had been distracted for just a few seconds. The incoming ball that Jack was warning him about was going no faster than five miles per hour, but that didn't register in Hotch's mind as he kicked it with his full force. He realized his mistake as the soccer ball went soaring through the air. It hit Florence in the face and sent her tumbling from her skateboard.

Hotch did his best to not say "shit" in front of his child as he ran over to Florence, Jack following quickly behind. Florence rolled on her back and slowly sat up while holding her face with both hands, groaning. Her elbows and knees were covered in fresh scrapes. She opened one of her eyes and squinted up at Hotch, surprised to see him hovering over her with a panicked look on his face.

"Daddy, you hit her in the face," Jack stated, putting a hand on his head as if he was in distress. He looked adorable, but Florence was in too much pain to say anything about it. "She's bleeding!"

"Florence, I'm so sorry," Hotch said. He got Florence to move her hands, which revealed her bleeding nose. "Tilt your head back."

Florence did as she was told, while also taking the flannel shirt that was tied around her waist and holding it over her nose to soak up some of the blood. "I know I'm not your favorite, Hopscotch, but there are nicer ways to get your point across."

"It was an accident," he insisted. He clearly felt guilty, and Florence rolled her eyes.

"I know it was an accident," she said, wincing as she dabbed her nose. "You got a very powerful kick, Hotch."

"I'm sorry Daddy broke your face." Florence finally noticed the child that was holding on to Hotch's arm and looking up at her with wide apologetic eyes.