Chapter 4

A/N: Heads up that I'm doing this in my spare time, so don't expect a consistent uploading schedule from me :0

***

After his mother, Olivia, had thoroughly inspected him head to toe and applied some medicinal ointments, she left the bedroom and entered the living area, where his father and his uncle were sitting in silence.

"Raiul, you were too harsh."

"Harsh it may seem, he needs to learn a lesson," Raiul responded sternly, his gaze not leaving the documents he was reading.

"Did you not see? His shoulder was black and blue!" his mother hissed at him.

"He'll recover."

"You can't just—" His mother practically snarled. "Raiul, I don't agree to this."

His uncle, like always when there was a rare occasion of a fight, tried being the peacekeeper. "Guys, please— We—"

His efforts were, however, a failure. In contrast to his rather loud and bright personality, he was quite timid when it came to confrontation and taking sides, and he eventually opted to quietly sitting on the sidelines as the two had argued.

His father lifted his head, turning to level his gaze with her angry ones. "Our father had taught us the same way to Zek and I, and I don't plan on treating Altair any differently."

"You really think this is alright?!"

"I don't see what's the problem, dear."

"Don't you call me 'dear'!"

He stared at her. "Liv. That boy should have known better than to ask for something he shouldn't from our lord. This was merely a warning."

"Warning my ass! That's no excuse to throw him at the fuckin' wall!"

His father's brow twitched with displeasure. "I'll admit that my anger got the best of me at that moment. But regardless, mistakes, especially for one involving the lord, will not be taken lightly, so the punishments in turn should reflect the severity, don't you think?"

"God help me," his mother said exasperatedly, rubbing her temple, "Zek, please tell me you don't agree with him."

At Olivia's question, his uncle seemed to shrink further into his seat.

When his mother noticed Zek's reluctance to answer, she groaned.

"Are you two kidding me? You guys are really okay with this? You said your father had done the same? Doesn't that mean you should understand just how wrong this all is?"

Raiul's frown deepened. "I of all people know that it was necessary in order to become an ideal servant. And Altair is no exception."

At this point, his mother was done with this argument that was evidently leading to nowhere. She slammed her fist down on the table. "Necessary?! Just because you're a wolf doesn't mean it's necessary to act like a wild goddamn beast, Raiul!!"

At her comment, the room became tense with silence.

Olivia's furious face that was pinched with frustration became pale with realization.

"Honey," she said quickly, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean—"

"I'll admit that I wasn't exactly in the clearest of mind," Raiul grounded out as his canines glinted, "and I'll admit that I'm not the most loving father that you would expect from a human one— but as a father, teaching and discipline is the only thing I can offer. If you're so bothered, Liv, as long as Altair doesn't make the same mistake again, we won't have any problems."