Chapter 5: Sleep Trouble

For the past few weeks, Mikey had been training 24/7, but hadn't been able to get some proper sleep due to nightmares and a patrol run gone wrong. He and his brothers had tried to stop some Purple Dragons from robbing a jewelry store, but since Mikey was goofing around again as usual (it wasn't the first time), the Purple Dragons ended up getting away, leaving the ninjas with pretty bad injuries. Mikey ended up getting a really bad scolding from Leo and Donnie after they'd gotten themselves patched up, but Raph hadn't said anything the whole time. Figuring that the hothead was mad regardless (considering his temper), Mikey had decided to avoid him for the time being.

    Raph was feeling worried for his little brother. Sure, Mikey does mess around a lot, especially on patrol, but at the same time, Leo and Donnie both have been a bit too harsh with what they said to him. As he sat in the pit reading a magazine, he heard the sounds of Mikey angrily punching at something in the dojo. He'd been at it for about a few weeks straight and hadn't gotten any rest. He only came out to eat something, and even then it wasn't much. And the lack of sleep only added to the stress he was feeling. He missed the way Mikey would light up the lair with his jokes and pranks-and especially with that bright smile of his. Each agonized thud of the punch made Raph's heart brake more and more until a most heartwrenching scream caught his attention completely. He turned his head to the direction of the dojo in time to see Mikey burst out and run to the direction of the sewers outside the lair.

    Now feeling really worried, Raph followed his little brother out of the lair and through the sewers, eventually turning a corner to see Mikey punching at the wall, only to stop when he punched so hard the wall cracked, his knuckle almost feeling like it did the same. His worry now spiking through the roof, he quietly started to head in the goofball's direction.

    Not knowing that someone was following him, Mikey slid down the wall and cried, having trouble breathing at the same time. His lungs felt constricted, and his sight started to look dizzy. Hands touched his own, one bringing a hand to a chest while the other gently cupped his face, bringing it to bright, crystal-green eyes. "Breathe, Mikey. Breathe with me," said the blurred figure in front of him. "Everything's gonna be alright."

    Mikey listened and tried hard to steady his breathing. Eventually, he slowly but surely calmed down and his vision began clearing up. Soon, his vision was 100% for him to see that the turtle in front of him was Raph. Seeing his brother, his hero, there in front of him was enough for a new wave of tears to force their way out of Mikey's eyes, the youngest throwing himself at his brother, sobbing hysterically while babbling incoherent apologies. Raph just wrapped his arms tightly around his little sunshine. "Shhhhh. It's okay, little buddy," he whispered. "I got you. I got you."

    Mikey just buried his face into his hero's neck, nuzzling close to him. Raph hugged him closer to him and leaned against the wall, pulling him into his lap while doing so. The hothead rocked him back and forth gently, curling himself around his baby brother protectively. He pulled away a little so he could lean in close and press his forehead against Mikey's, red and orange meeting in the middle so that crystal-green was looking at sky-blue. "I'm sure Leo and Donnie didn't mean every word they said to you," he said gently.

    "I'm sorry," Mikey whimpered.

    "Don't be," Raph replied. "It's not your fault entirely. Leo and Donnie are like that because they love you."

    "I-I keep having nightmares about you all disowning me," Mikey stuttered. "Even Dad was fine with it. That's why I trained more and more and got really stressed in the process. I just want you guys to be happy with me again."

    Raph almost sucked in a breath. The turtles rarely call Splinter "Dad". Whenever they did, however, situations like this must be serious. "Mikey, my best friend," he said. "I can assure you that we'll never disown you. And I love you the way you are-with your pranks, jokes, and the way our lives light up with your smile. We all do. I miss the happy Mikey as much as everyone else does."

    Mikey's eyes widened. "R-Really?" he asked. "Y-You really mean it?

    Raph smiled. "Really," he confirmed, pushing his brother's face into his neck for added comfort. "We want the happy Mikey back. We miss that kind of Mikey, and meanwhile, I miss my best friend who's also my favourite little ball of sunshine-the ball of sunshine I can protect."

    It wasn't often that Raph got all sappy and whatnot, but he'd do anything to make his little brother feel better. And it was working because Mikey once again had trouble holding in his tears. Raph felt that. "Let it out, little brother," he whispered. "Go ahead and cry. I'm right here."

    At that, the floodgates broke again as Mikey softly cried again, this time they were tears of happiness. Raph held him close, cuddling and nuzzling him as he rocked back and fourth with his precious bundle in his arms. The days events and lack of sleep finally catching up to him, Mikey yawned and was fast asleep in seconds for the first time in weeks. Raph smiled and leaned against the wall, falling asleep as well.
......................................................................................................
    A gentle paw to the shoulder woke Raph up sometime later. He opened his eyes to see Master Splinter knelt down to his eye level, a sad smile on his face since he must've overheard everything; he'd gone out to look for the two boys when they didn't show up after a while. He was worried enough for Mikey, but after seeing Raph gone as well, he got really worried. Raph gave Splinter a little smile back, showing that they were both okay, and looked down at Mikey. "Wake up, little bro," he whispered, but there was no response.

    Pulling him back a bit, Raph couldn't help but coo at the sight: Mikey was fast asleep with a content smile on his face, his arms wrapped around his neck while still sitting on his lap. Splinter smiled at the scene as well. "It's time for you and Michelangelo to head home, Raphael," he said. "There will be no training tomorrow."

    Raph smiled as he wrapped one arm around Mikey's shell and wrapped the other one under the crook of Mikey's legs. Picking him up as he stood up, he cradled his baby brother in his arms before nodding to Splinter. "Thanks, Sensi," he said as he started to walk home while carrying his baby brother, Splinter walking with him alongside.

    It took a while, but finally, they arrived at the lair. Leo and Donnie were both waiting for them in the pit, immediately standing up when they saw the three enter the lair. They both quietly went over to Mikey, who still slept soundly in Raph's arms. "We didn't mean all those things we said to you, Mikey," said Leo.

    "We're very sorry," Donnie added. "Can you ever forgive us?"

    All they got in reply was Mikey nodding and smiling in his sleep. Raph smiled. "I think he says yes," he said as he left, Leo and Donnie feeling much better. Splinter went to his room for some meditation, hoping that Mikey would be okay in time.

    Finally, Raph got to Mikey's room to find it messy as it's always been. Shaking his head with an amused smile, Raph navigated his way through messy floor, careful to not drop his precious bundle, before getting to the bed. He laid Mikey down on the mattress and tucked him in well, making sure he'd stay warm. He was about to leave when he barely heard Mikey say something. "What was that, buddy?" he asked, leaning in closer so he could hear.

    "Please stay," Mikey mummered in his sleep.

    Raph chuckled softly, knowing full well that his baby brother never wanted to be left alone in times like this. "Sure thing, buddy," he said, scooting into bed next to him.

    Mikey immediately snuggled into him, purring slightly. Raph just wrapped his arms around his baby brother and shifted so that he was laying on his shell, Mikey laying on top of him. "Feel better, Little Sunshine?" he whispered. (I don't know why I called Mikey "Little Sunshine"; I just thought it sounded adorable).

    Mikey only nodded before letting out a content sigh. "I love you, Raphie," he whispered before becoming still, deep in sleep.

    Raph smiled and planted a kiss on Mikey's forehead. "I love you to, Little Sunshine. My best friend," he said as he fell asleep also.