Chapter 26: Letting Go

"What are you waiting for?" Connor shouted when I hesitated for too long.

The door creaked faintly as I pushed it open, revealing the werewolf sitting on his bed. He covered himself with the bedsheets, leaving only his head visible. Both ears were down, just like a dog's. It was my only indication of Connor's mood. I couldn't discern his facial expressions with clarity. Stepping inside, I closed the door and walked to the table. My eyes never left his. Finally reaching my destination, I pulled one chair out and turned it around, resting my arms on the backrest, as I was already used to doing. Silence prevailed even after I took a seat.

"I thought you wanted to talk," Connor finally said.

I looked down, trying to come up with the right words as I fiddled with my fingers. Anything that wouldn't be considered rude, condescending, or outright stupid. His silent stare just added more pressure. I didn't actually expect him to let me in, so I hadn't thought of anything to say.

Why did he do it, anyway?

Is it because of my appearance?

Was Lucy right?

That was the one thing I wanted to know. It wasn't how I would've liked to start the conversation, but it was important to me.

"Why did you let me in?"

"Curiosity, mostly," he replied, doing what seemed to be a frown. "Everyone is too scared of me. You aren't."

"I find that hard to believe," I said, raising an eyebrow. "Maybe the nurses or some of the assistants, but not everyone."

He shook his head. "I can smell it."

"Huh?"

"Their fear."

I frowned, not expecting him to say something so weird.

"Is it really that hard to believe?"

"I don't doubt you're able to, but how can you tell?"

"I just can!" He shouted. "And everyone reeks of it! They saw me as a monster from the moment I woke up. And who can blame them? I mean, just look at me!"

That was the reaction I wanted to avoid. I thought about what he said.

There's no way he's right.

He's probably confused.

Or is he?

What if he can really tell the difference?

Perhaps it's like my growling.

Something that comes on instinct.

"You had that scent earlier," he continued. "Though it was gone by the time you stopped us. That's when I realised your fear wasn't aimed at me, but at something else... What was it that scared you?"

"Ah, right. I saw a very big spider in my room."

"You screamed like that because of a spider?"

"Hey, it was huge!"

He snorted. "Sure, whatever you say."

I simply rolled my eyes, not bothering to insist. He would most likely take anything I said as an exaggeration. It was easier to show it to him later on. Assuming they didn't dispose of it after they were done with their experiments.

Would they even let him see it?

"The point is that your attitude towards me made me curious about you," he continued. "Is it because of your own situation? Do they fear you too?"