Chapter One

Chapter One,

“You know what, Mel?” I said to Melody, my best friend, as we pushed past the crowd to get to Calculus. Melody cursed under her breath when a boy rudely shouldered past her.

“Watch where you’re going!” she screamed angrily at his back but either he didn’t hear her, or chose to ignore her, “what were you saying, Angel?”

“I was saying that maybe I’m cool with Aaron dating Nina and –“

“You have got to be kidding me?” Mel stopped short in her tracks and turned around to face me, hands on her hips, “you’ve been crushing on Aaron for the past four years, A! You can’t just forgive Nina!”

“Look, it was never going to happen, anyway so I guess it’s cool that Nina gets to be with someone she likes.” I said, sliding my arm through Mel’s and leading her towards our next class which, thankfully, was one class that the two of us shared even if it was bloody Calculus.

“But your best friend’s crush is off limits! Nina should have known better than to crush on Aaron Samuels!” Melody protested and maybe she was right. I mean, I would never go for someone that Mel or Nina were crushing on but I suppose this is fate.

 Fate? What is wrong with me?

              “I don’t mind, Mel, so stop giving Nina the cold shoulder,” I said as I led her towards the back row, where we usually sat, “and I’m not mad at her so why are you?”

“Because you always liked Aaron and you can pretend to be indifferent but I know that you’re really upset about this.”

“I’m not –“

“Don’t even think about denying it!”    

“Just let it go, Melody,” I sighed as I fell into a chair besides Melody, “promise me?”

“Fine,” Melody grumbled just as Mr. Hansen entered the classroom and started droning on. It was the first time I was thankful that he was teaching because Mel had shut up. Melody frowned while she jotted down everything that Mr. Hansen explained. She was obviously upset Aaron and Nina. Mostly because neither of us had seen it coming.

Aaron Samuels had never once acknowledged me throughout the four years that I had been acquainted with him. In fact, he had never even looked my way but like every other girl in my school, I had been secretly in love with him for as long as I could remember and then he asked her out, Nina, I mean, my best friend and Melody was pissed because Nina said yes. I wasn’t because Nina never lied to me about it. She liked Aaron and Aaron liked her and I was okay with that.

The shrill sound of the school bell rang in our ears, signaling the end of class. I stood up and gathered my books, dreading the torture that was history. I hated history; it was the most boring subject on the entire planet!

“So, Angel,” Melody said as we made our way to our lockers, “did you see the new guy, yet?”

“What new guy?” I jerked open the rusty door to my locker and started looking for my history books.

“His name is Tristan, I think, and he is so damn gorgeous!” Mel let out a dreamy sigh and I smiled as I watched my best friend pine over yet another guy but it was Jason she really liked and we all knew it. Except Jason, he was a clueless ass.  

“That’s nice. I’ll see you and Nina at lunch, okay Mel?” I said as I slammed my locker door shut and started walking towards History.

“Yeah, I’ll see you, then,” Mel said, walking towards the gym. Lucky little cat, she had physical education while I was stuck with history. I know most girls don’t like that class but I do because, well, not to brag or anything, but I’m kind of good at sports.