Graduation

Finally, it arrived, "G" Day, Graduation Day, "Dewey Day" as Short Round was calling it. The day Michael dreaded, though he was happy for his friend he felt guilty that he could not truly feel happy for him. What did it feel like to know that high school was over forever, Michael wondered?

They sat in the auditorium, waiting for the ceremony to begin. Dewey's parents were beaming—their son had graduated in the top ten of his class, Anya's parents looked proud, and Michael and Short Round's parents sat smiling, knowing that next year it would be their sons' turn. They leaned over and talked to each other in soft tones that Michael and Short Round could barely hear, though they didn't care to listen anyway. For them, this ritual represented a loss that had to be endured.

At their parents' insistence, the Tony Hawk tee shirts they wore were covered black cotton button-downs. In keeping with the solemnity of the occasion, they had worn black jeans and black Vans. When the last graduate marched out of the auditorium they planned to remove their shirts and reveal their tees and salute Dewey with raised fists.

One by one the graduates filed down the aisle and seated themselves on the stage. Though they could not sit together, Dewey and Anya did not take their eyes from each other. The grads sat nervously in their chairs, waiting for the diplomas to be handed out, so they could make good their escape.

Boring speeches followed, giving by smug graduates who forgot that some of their peers wanted only for the ceremony to end so they could leave and escape to the parties where they could begin to celebrate in earnest. Michael noticed among them a few who had once been his friends but abandoned him, with the commencement of his family's misfortunes. "Good riddance," he thought, "I'm glad you're gone. There are only two people on that stage that I care about, that I'm going to miss. You're lucky Dewey's a nice enough guy to invite you to his party—I know I wouldn't."

The grads filed off the stage, now official adults. Dewey winked at his friends as he headed up the aisle, and Anya gave them a small, secret smile. Good, thought Michael, the boring stuff is over, bring on the party, Dew Man.

The ceremony over and done with, the boys piled into Michael's parents' car. He and Short Round sulked in the back seat as his parents drove to Dewey's house. Suddenly, guiltily, Michael remembered that his sister had not gone with them, not that she would have enjoyed witnessing the ceremony, or seeing Dewey with Anya for that matter, but her absence suddenly became a matter of concern.

"Mom, where's Little Bit?" He could safely use the nickname since it was not in her presence.

"She had a dance rehearsal, sweetheart, remember?" Michael cringed at the use of "sweetheart" in front of his friend as Short Round snickered. "She had dinner at Lisa's, then they were going to rehearse at the Community Center."

"How's she getting home? She isn't going to take the bus, is she?" Michael felt a rising sense of guilt, tinged with panic. Please, he thought, please tell me she doesn't have to take the bus.

"What's wrong, Michael? I'm sure Lisa's parents will give her a ride home. You've certainly become the protective big brother this year."

"Yeah, I'm sure she's going to be okay. I just forgot why she didn't come with us, that's all." Short Round dug an elbow into his ribs and Michael glared at him. He, of all people, knew that this was serious.

"Calm down, Blondie," Short Round whispered, "It'll be fine."

But what if it's not?

Cars lined both sides of Dewey's street. The whole neighborhood seemed to be turning out to congratulate the graduates.  Several people waved to them as they got out of the car. Michael's mom and dad waved back, calling greetings to old friends. It was like one of the old neighborhood parties, no one looked or whispered awkwardly behind his parents' backs.