67 - "PLEASE WAKE UP"

CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN

song of the chapter - "dusk till dawn" by zayn

"please wake up"

tw - abuse / violence

Two sounds caught Hollis's ears at once.

One of them sounded like some large thing rustling in the bushes to her left, the other menacing footsteps. Hollis chose to turn her attention towards the footsteps because she knew who's feet were creating the menacing rhythm, and she knew she better be ready.

Sure enough, Mulstone stood before his starved, bruised, cut daughter with a slightly disgusted look on his bearded face. He had been looking for her to inform her of an upcoming ball so that she could look a little bit less like a disgrace than usual, but the amount of time it had taken him to locate her, unfortunately for Hollis, had caused him a great deal of annoyance.

"What the hell are you doing out here, Appoline?"

Both James and Sirius couldn't do anything but watch as Mulstone Rosier came into view. 

That seemed obvious, thought Sirius as he looked at the open book resting in Hollis's lap.

"Reading," replied Hollis tersely, looking her father directly in the eyes with an amount of nerve neither James nor Sirius had the ability to harness.

The two boys were completely frozen in their position against the hedge, the corner giving them the perfect angle to watch while remaining completely hidden. Hollis's warnings and instruction became even louder in their heads the longer they remained; they could both picture her pure fury and fear if she saw them on the edge of Rosier Manor.

"Obviously reading, you idiotic girl," hissed Mulstone. James watched with horror as he yanked up her arm, making her stumble slightly as she rose. "You know what I meant."

"Let go of me," she replied, steel in her voice as she gently set down the book on the stone bench with care. "And what do you want?"

The next few moments seemed to move in slow motion as Mulstone slapped Hollis directly across the face with a ringed hand that easily, viciously sliced open her cheek. The pain in her torso was only amplified by her hunger and the preexisting bruise, a collection of torments abruptly condensed. 

The tiny whimper that Hollis let out as her back slammed against the ground broke James and Sirius's heart simultaneously.

"There is a ball in three days time. I expect you to be ready when I see you again," Mulstone said cruelly, looking down at his daughter with disgust. "The Notts will be there. You must be on your best behavior."