Chapter 23

“Well are you just going to stand there and stare at me like that, or are you going to let me in?” my father asked after a moment of me just staring blankly at him. A million and one things were running through my head right now. Why was he here? What was he planning on doing? Did he regret leaving us? Did he miss me and my Mom and sister?

I tried to speak or move, but I couldn’t. I just continued to stare up at him, words to be said caught in my throat. I was so confused right now. I didn’t know if I should be happy or angry or excited or concerned. Or all of the above.

“Danni? Who’s at the door?” I heard my sister’s voice come from down the hallway. I turned around and saw her walking down the hallway a smile still on her face from when I walked out of the room before. It immediately dropped off her face when she saw who was standing in front of me.

“How are you Samantha?” my father asked her. She just stared at him wide eyed before looking at me.

“W-What are you doing here?” she stuttered looking at him.

“What, I can’t come and visit my two daughters? Is that a crime now?” he asked half jokingly, but there was something in his voice that rubbed me the wrong way.

“Not when you lose it and go through a messy divorce with our mother and then make no attempt to see or talk to us for two years.” Sami growled underneath her breath. I bit my lip. She was right.

“Now you don’t talk to me like that. I’m still your father and-” he started but another voice from down the hall cut him off.

“Dan? Sami? What’s going on?” I heard Liam’s voice before he appeared in the opening of the hallway. The minute he walked in I just wanted to run over to him and jump into his arms and have him hug me and tell me how I should feel right now. But I remained planted, not wanting to seem two intimated by my father’s presence. As if I hadn’t already.

“Who’s this?” Liam asked when he saw my Dad. I gulped.

“Uh… Li-Liam… this is our father.” Sami stuttered out, looking between our father and Liam. His eyes widened a bit before immediately landing on me. He knew how hard my father’s leaving had impacted me. He must know I felt a little off balance right now. I looked back into his eyes trying to send him a bit of an S.O.S.

“Well, can I come in now or what?” Dad asked impatiently. I took a breath and stepped back a bit letting him enter. I guess we shouldn’t do this while he was standing out on our porch. I shut the door lightly behind him as he shoved his hands into his pockets and looked around.

“I see your mother had the place redone a bit?” he commented. Sami just nodded, still feeling unsure and awkward like I did. At least she could freaking speak. The minute I closed the door I walked around my father and over to Liam, wrapping my arms around his torso. He immediately wrapped his arm around my waist, holding me against him almost protectively as I leaned my head into his shoulder for support.

“Are you okay?” he whispered into my ear. I bit my lip and gave him a bit of a sad look and a shrug, telling him I really wasn’t sure how I felt or how I was supposed to feel. He only tightened his grip on me.

“So… who’s this?” Dad spoke up again, nodding towards Liam and giving him a bit of a sharp glare.

“I’m Liam Salloy.” Liam said simply.

“Danni’s boyfriend.” Sami added on. I swallowed, unsure of how he would react to that. He was always a bit of a protective one.

“Ooh he’s cute, isn’t he girls?” my mother asked Sami and as we walked through the city. The two of us looked over at the boy that walked past us.