Hunter Exam - Chapter 15

The first match was between Gon and the ninja guy named Hanzo. I stood from the sidelines, watching them as they got ready to fight. The referee introduced himself as Masta. Then Hanzo talked about him knowing that he was the one tracking him during the last phase. How was I supposed to know that I was being tailed on by an Examiner? Lynn noticed, but I had no idea.

"I have a question. We can only win if our opponent surrenders right? Knocking them unconscious doesn't count? No TKOs either?" He asked.

"Right. Those are the rules." Masta made it clear for him to understand.

He looked strong, so I hoped that Gon would be able to beat him and pass. Lynn and the others had put all their faith in him.

"Now, begin!"

Gon dashed past him, trying to keep his distance from Hanzo. Unfortunately, being a ninja, he was faster than him. He caught up with him and chopped his neck. I gasped, and Killua scoffed.

"If this were a regular match, I would win by now." Hanzo grabbed ahold of him and positioned him upwards so that he was leaning against him.

"C'mon, pull yourself together." I winced when he tried to "fix" him, hearing a few bones crack, and he coughed.

"You must feel awful. After all, I hit you hard enough for your brain to bounce around. You get it? You don't stand a chance against me. You'd better surrender now and spare yourself the trouble."

I knew about Gon. He wouldn't stop until his goal was complete, no matter how serious the problem was. He kept straining, but he wouldn't back down. "No way!"

Hanzo grew angry and hit his head hard. My eyes couldn't take the torture he was going through. It had been only five minutes and he was already knocked down.

"Think about it. Surrender now and you'll have another chance. Being stubborn isn't going to get you anywhere. So just give up now."

I didn't like where this was going. He would definitely not give up.

"That's never going to happen!" Gon screamed.

What the heck? Why can't this idiot do what he says? He still has plenty of other chances and yet he still has to fight him to win one time. This isn't going to end well...

He groaned as he tried to stand up, Hanzo stood up in front of him. "Say it." He demanded. No answer came from him, causing him to take another hit to the gut and falling back down.

"Don't push it, Gon!" Leorio shouted. "You still have other fights, so just—"

"Leorio!" Kurapika interrupted him. "Would you give up if you were in Gon's position?"

"Hell no, I wouldn't!"

I grew distressed from watching this cruel fight. Every time he got hit, it hurt me inside. My heart ached from having to witness every hit Hanzo landed on Gon. I winced again when he kicked him really hard, sending him back a few feet.

Then he struck his back forcefully. Even the Examiners were a lot worried about Gon. Chairman Netero watched the poor boy get beaten up by the talkative ninja.

- 3 hours later -

It was perplexing to see that Gon still refused to give up after three whole hours of brutal suffering. He threw up many times enough, and he couldn't take much more pain.

"Enough already! I'm gonna kill you!" Leorio yelled at Hanzo. "Pick on someone your own size!"

He turned around, not feeling an ounce of guilt. "If you can't handle it, then leave. It's going to get much worse."