II. The Binding

WITHOUT MISSING A BEAT the pair sprinted as fast as their muddied boots would carry them. Raya gripped the golden bow so strongly that her knuckles were white in protest. Although scared, she knew they had to regroup; knew the village would be skeptical and her and Awen would have to handle something like this with delicacy. Raya thanked the stars that it was Awen with her and not somebody else, because he seemed to read her mind as they sprinted the opposite direction from the village.

    They reached Raya's resting tree much faster than when they had departed earlier, almost unnaturally so. Awen was bent forward with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. Raya stilled herself by placing her back firmly on the wood, gulping the torrid air around her. Even though their cores were shaken, neither gave in to the temptation of their canteens.

    The sun sloped toward the west while the cicadas sang. The friends finally settled, catching their breath and realizing that nightfall would soon be upon them. Awen straightened and nodded towards the bow, "You think that belongs to our winged friend back there?"

    Raya knitted her brows at him, then looked dumbly at the bow as if she didn't realize she was still holding it. She lifted it up to observe it better, but her mind was elsewhere. She didn't want Awen to know how truly startled she was.

    "What was that?" Raya stifled a whimper. The bow caught the setting sun's light, shining as though it had been engulfed in flames. The visage of the skeleton in the river appeared every time she blinked, it's bones poking up from the dry dirt of the riverbed.

    "Beats the hell out of me, but it was certainly dead. Perhaps a creature of the myths? Ah. Well," Awen paused; looking pensive, "I guess since we saw it that doesn't make it much of a myth."

    "Should we tell the elders?" Raya finally allowed her eyes to meet his. He reciprocated the look and strolled closer toward her until they were standing in front of each other. He reached for the glistening weapon.

    "Well, before that, let's assess—" as soon as his hand wrapped around the bow, he jerked back and yipped; shaking his hand vigorously as though he had been burned. Raya stared at him before scowling. Of course he'd try to make her laugh after such a fraught experience.

    "This is no time for games." She said.

    "How on earth are you holding that thing? It's as hot as the sun!" Awen's concerned eyes and the red mark that was appearing on his palm sent a steady bolt of worry down Raya's spine. He wasn't joking at all. She looked at the bow again, attempting to drop it—but it did not budge. Her limbs refused to listen and the weapon stayed in place, as if wanting to be wielded. She felt no heat, though, not even when she held it closer to study it. There was no pain at all, even though her hand has such a strong grip on it.

    In an instant everything stilled around them—the sky turning too dark for the time it was, followed by a thick hush. The pair looked at each other with a stupefied expression as they tried to understand what was happening. The golden bow began to illuminate with a beauty that Raya couldn't put in words. Warm shades of radiance kissed Awen and Raya's faces, casting shadows and light alike.

   She was unable to remove her eyes from the weapon. It glimmered in her palm as she felt the warmth of hot tendrils of power licking the inside of her hand, spreading up her arm, and then throughout her being. And still, despite the heat, she felt no pain. The warmth was comforting, soothing her body rid of any strain or tiredness it had endured during her hunt and her flight from the river.

    Then Raya's body moved on its own. She took aim at the sky for the second time of the day. She knew she should feel scared, whatever power that flowed through her was puppeteering her body to its whims, but she felt no fear.