√4 = 2

In shock, Elio dropped the taco he was about to place into his mouth. "Y-You're joking, right?"

Nova shook her head. "Nope, it was just a differential equation. I don't know why everyone was getting so worked up about it."

Elio let out a manic laugh. "Just a differential equation? You do understand the gravity of the situation you're in, don't you?"

"Gravity is also quantifiable. Just a bunch of numbers and letters if you ask me."

"I don't believe you. No one has been able to solve the Hartman Equation for years."

In one swift motion, Nova pulled a pen out of her backpack and took one of the napkins on Elio's tray. She then began to scribble what would seem to others as nonsense on the same napkin and once she had finished, handed it back to Elio.

As his eyes scanned the entirety of it all and as he got closer to the answer, the pulse of his heartbeat began to increase. Elio handed it back to Nova and whispered, "This is insane! You have to show this to Professor Whitaker right away! You'll win a Nobel Prize for this!"

She shook away all of Elio's words and placed a fry into her mouth. "Who says I want some lame prize anyway? It won't make me happy. What makes me happy are these fries," she said as she held one up in front of his face.

Baffled by her response, Elio stood up. "You can't keep this prolific discovery to yourself!" Everyone turned to face the two as he had accidentally said it out loud. Embarrassed, he quickly sat back down.

"Tell the whole school why don't you," Nova mocked. "If you're so passionate about this, why don't you do it?" She took back out the napkin and held it out towards Elio.

He shook his head as he pushed her hand away. "No, this is your discovery. I could never dream of being as smart as you are."

Nova's eyes went soft. She hesitated to give her reply. "What's the point of intelligence if it doesn't make you happy."

Neither of them said a word for a moment. Elio finally broke the silence, "I know that there's been something bothering you lately. You haven't been yourself and I've waited until you were ready to tell me, but it seems like we don't have much time left." 

Hearing that made Nova's heart wither. She wanted to tell Elio why she had been ditching her classes but didn't exactly have the courage to yet. But he was right in the sense that it seemed like their time together was coming to a halt. Instead of giving him the full story, she decided to tell him half for the time being.

"I was accepted for a volunteer opportunity for a humanitarian society in Africa."

Elio smiled. "That's great! I know it's something you've always wanted to do."

Nova nodded. "Yeah... but it takes place during senior year."

The mood quickly shifted. She looked at Elio and said, "It would have been a terrible situation if I had to decide on either completing my degree or going."

He gave her the side-eye. "What do you mean it would have been? Isn't it a decision you still have to make?"

Nova turned away. Elio knew that when Nova was hiding something, she would always try to hide her nervous smile.

"I maybe, might have, already agreed to go," she whispered the last part.

He sighed. "Honestly, I'm not surprised. I'm just upset you didn't tell me sooner. Have you at least told your parents about it?"

My parents, she thought. Nova's parents were immigrants and expected her to excel in everything she did. They were strict on her, only because they wanted her to succeed. However, sometimes that desire may sometimes cloud one's mind, to a point where that's all they see, never taking into consideration of someone's feelings and mental state.

"Well, it's a good thing they're coming to campus on Friday," Nova said as she stared off into the distance, "I'm sure they'll have a lot to say to me."

+++

Friday came sooner than Nova had hoped for. She was not looking forward to being scolded by her intolerant parents.

Elio stayed by Nova's side until they arrived. As they both waited diligently for their car to pull up, Elio placed something in her hand.

"What is it?" she asked as she held up the small iPod shuffle.

"There's a single song on there. If you decide to go, I want you to listen to it."

Nova gave him a smile and nodded. A few minutes later, her parent's car came into view. She could tell by the look on their faces that it wasn't going to be a good time. She told Elio she would talk to him later and rushed towards them.

Without saying a word, they both got out of the car.

"Hola," she greeted the two of them. They ignored Nova completely. She bowed her head in shame and followed directly behind them.

The three of them stopped as soon as they got to the science building. Her mother finally turned to face her and asked, "What is the matter with you? We received a phone call the other day hearing that you are not attending classes? Por qué?"

Nova did not know what to say in response. She felt like she would not be listened to if she told the truth, so she simply said nothing. Her parents shook their heads in disappointment and they headed inside.

It was something that Nova wanted to have nothing to do with. Professor Whitaker began to explain how great of a student Nova was up until a few weeks ago. As they discussed, she felt as though she was going to explode.

Letting go of all her anxieties, she stood up and shouted, "I'm going to Africa!"