Chapter 1, Part 2

ARI

"I want to take you back to Lumi," Ari said. "Do you want to see Lumi? I can take you to her."

At this, Jinni's ears pricked up.

Ari breathed out. "I know you hate me," she said. "I can't blame you. But I'm the only one who wants to get you out of here, Jinni. They're going to kill you, Jinni. But I want to take you to her."

Jinni glared at her.

"If I don't do this..." Ari didn't finish the sentence.

She would never forgive herself if Jinni was put to death. It would be all her fault. Just like everything was her fault.

Raphael had died because of her.

Bell had died because of her.

Ari knew that she needed to do this, even if it meant risking her life.

"Please, Jinni," Ari whispered. "I can get you out of here. If we leave tonight, we can make it," Ari said. "But it has to be tonight. They're planning to kill you tomorrow, Jinni."

Jinni scowled at her.

"I don't want to hurt you!" Ari said. "But the doctors will."

Ari crept closer, and placed her hand on the door handle. The tiger tensed, and then took a step back from the door.

She waited.

After two minutes of both of theme staring at each other, Ari pulled the door handle and pulled the door slowly. The metal shrieked, a sound that made Ari wince, and she almost slammed the door again with her fear. But she forced herself to step back.

The tiger was watching her. There was nothing to separate them now. His chest was wrapped in thick bandages, so that one of his wings was tucked against his body.

"I'll take you to Lumi," Ari murmured. "I swear."

Jinni blinked.

And then he lowered his head to Ari's, so that his yellow eyes were level with hers.

The tiger blinked slowly at her.

And she blinked slowly back.

"You want to find Lumi?" Ari asked.

She stepped back away from the door, allowing space for the tiger. He stared at her, eyes distrustful, but after a moment he took a step forward, towards freedom.

"That's it," she murmured. "We'll find Lumi. Come with me."

Her movements were achingly slow, so as not to startle him. She walked backwards so that she wouldn't have to turn her back on him, and she led him back through the hospital. She led him back the way she'd come, checking first that the way was clear before she led him out of the hospital.

The tiger followed her through the dark, deserted streets of the school.

Ari had been here for days now, since the Winter Championships.

The Garde had come to search the House of Winter, to tear through her possessions, rip apart her books as if they held some secret to her whereabouts, but she had stayed hidden. Ari had always been good at going unnoticed, and now she'd managed to slip through the cracks, even while the King's Garde searched the school for her.

Delegates from the Norrlish embassy had come to clear out Katja's room, but Ari hadn't revealed herself to them, either. She wasn't sure whether they would protect her. She wasn't sure where Katja's loyalty lay. Ari knew that Katja was kind, but whether she was good was another question. She often had her own interests at heart, and Ari didn't trust that the winter princess wouldn't sell Ari's head if it benefited her.