Chapter 2

Their words echo in my mind like a taunting child: We can't find a body.

My ass hurts after sitting on this stiff metal chair for hours. It's bolted to the floor across from another identical one with a metal interactive table in the middle. Two holographic fact cubes float in mid-air: mine and Stella's. The police haven't checked a single digital peep about AlphaGalaxy, of course, even though I told them her last words.

Those corporate gluttons are untouchable.

The police have already confiscated my holojector. They're trying to extract the last video feed I've received from Stella, or so they say.

It's taken them hours.

But we're still no closer to finding Stella's body or the woman who killed her. It doesn't help that my memories are fuzzy at best.

Stupid, Tara!

I'm nursing a headache that would split a crater in half. Damn! Why the hell did I drink so much last night? I've already vomited into the self-cleaning wastepaper basket twice. The stale stench of acidic wine and cleaning bleach seep through the room, threatening to make me sick again.

The door slides open to reveal the grumpy female digital officer.

Great. Just what I need. The mean one again.

AG-520 sits across from me with a disdainful sniff. "We have a few follow-up questions. First off, are you sure you weren't too...intoxicated?"

"The Steeltoes killed her, Officer." I narrow my eyes. "I witnessed Stella's death. It wasn't a hallucination."

Even though I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten this polluted, these officers don't know that. A cursory glance at my fact cube will tell them I come from a respectable Niner family who can vouch for me. Right now, though, they must think I'm some kinda boozehound.

AG-520 leans forward with interest. "You saw them shoot her?"

"Through Stella's holographic camera, yes."

"You saw the bullet enter her body?"

What kind of stupid-ass question is that?

"Well, no. It was a reverse capture."

"Are you sure you heard a gunshot?"

"Yes, and then Stella fell to the ground. They killed her, Officer."

"Why can't we find a body?" AG-520 folds her hands. "Are you sure it wasn't a prank? A doctored video? A joke in poor taste, perhaps?"

"Why would Stella—?"

I heave a heavy sigh and try to regain my composure. It ain't easy, though. The police don't seem to give a shit what I'm saying. It's like they're trying their best to cover up for the Steeltoes any way they can.

Why am I surprised?

AlphaGalaxy has sponsored the Greater Boston area for a long-ass time and basically owns it all. Not just the land. They pay the salaries of the people and programs, too.

Why did I bother coming here?

I lower my voice to a respectable register. "Officer, with all due respect, I've known my quartner for over a decade. Stella has an even higher social rating than me. She comes from an established Niner family like I do. She respects me and the law."

"I see." She presses a few digital keys on the table. "How would you describe Mx. Gotthard's demeanor?"

It's a polite way to ask: Was your quartner as drunk as you were?