SUTHERLAND

synopsis
SUTHERLAND

" You're not so terrible... for a Bridgerton "

TWO        PROLIFIC      FAMILIES OF   HIGH    SOCIETY    SHARED A      DEEP-ROOTED       HATRED FOR    ONE   ANOTHER   —   THE BRIDGERTONS        AND       THE SUTHERLANDS

OF   HIGH    SOCIETY    SHARED
A      DEEP-ROOTED       HATRED
FOR    ONE   ANOTHER —   THE
BRIDGERTONS        AND      THE
SUTHERLANDS. THE RIVALRY
WAS WRITTEN IN THE BLOOD
OF   THEIR   ANCESTORS    AND
UPHELD BY BLIND TRADITION

The Bridgerton children were named in alphabetical order, which many found odd. Yet, they weren't the sole family ridiculed by Lady Whistledown for their bizarre naming method.

The Sutherland children, all six of them, bore names that began with the letter 'M'Montague, Moses, Maude, Margaret, Maxwell, and Mildred. For the letter was significant and rich with meaning. It's said that those whose names start with 'M' are loyal, hard-working, and dependable. The three values which the Sutherland Family held in high regard.

There was a final value that came with a name beginning with 'M'. Tradition. A Sutherland, in all their glory, followed tradition.

They followed the Sutherland way.

One tradition that they followed, blind, was the ongoing dispute with the Bridgerton family. The century-long feud was well-known amongst high society. And, like all things of interest, it was followed with diligence by the anonymous scribbler, Lady Whistledown.

Within Grosvenor Square, the Bridgerton house and the Sutherland house stood side by side. The two houses were often compared on outer beauty, for both were well-kept and enchanting. Lady Violet Bridgerton and Lady Leona Sutherland were in a silent rivalry in regards to the appearance of their gardens. They desired their house to be more beautiful than the other. Nevertheless, the Bridgerton-Sutherland feud transcended the trivialities of mere garden maintenance.

Their feud ran blood-deep. Unfortunately, in the heated rivalry, the Sutherlands often lost. The Sutherland garden was never as pretty. The Sutherland children were never as successful. The Sutherland family was never as envied. And, last season when both Daphne Bridgerton and Maude Sutherland debuted in society, the two mamas were more cutthroat. When Daphne wooed a Duke and caught the interest of a Prince, Lady Sutherland seethed anger. For Maude failed in acquiring a single proposal (of worth) in her first season — the Bridgertons had the Sutherlands beat once again.

Despite the hostility thick in the atmosphere, the Sutherland house was full of love and joy. The Sutherland siblings were a vivacious bunch — they were family.  Blood is thicker than water.