Syokana/Syobai Hashimoto x Kanade Otonokoji

"Wow! You're so amazing, Kanade!" Iroha gasped with delight as she held a small music box in her hands, this week's project. "I would've never been able to do this without you!"

"Yeah! Our little Kanade has a bunch of tricks up her sleeve!" Hibiki chimed in, hugging her younger twin. "Now that we're done the project, let's go play on the third island! I wanna go ride the carousel again!"

"U-Um, Sis? Is it okay if I walk around alone for a bit? I need to clear my head after that much concentration." The guitarist requested. "Focusing on all those tiny gears kind of started to hurt my eyes."

"Oh, okay! We don't want you to lose your skills, after all!" The vocalist began sprinting for the entrance of the Monocruise. "Roro, let's go ride the carousel together!"

"O-Okay!" The painter yelped, running to catch up with the older twin.

Kanade watched them go with a smile. In truth, she didn't need to clear her head after a bunch of concentration, but she wanted to be alone to stop her headache after dealing with their stupidity and the pressure being put on her. She believed that an uneventful walk around the Monocruise and a nap would get her back to normal.

As she walked up the stairs and rounded the corner in the direction of the library, she caught sight of Syobai. "Oh, hello. I thought that you would be avoiding everyone in Higa City today. I guess I was wrong." She smiled with false sweetness.

"It's odd to see you without that annoying little shit attached to you. Did you finally manage to ditch her?" The broker questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"In a way, yes. I twisted the truth a little, and she ran off to the third island with Iroha in my place. Poor girl, Hibiki's going to drag her around so fast that her tiny brain will be ricocheting off the inside her skull." The guitarist giggled. "Oh well, at least that means that I get a short break."

"Did you do whatever that project's instructions said to do for those idiots?" Syobai paused for a brief moment. "Well, to be fair, building a music box is a little tricky, take it from me."

"That's because your hands aren't small, even though they're skilled, and you also don't have someone to read off the instructions while you have your eyes on the little gears in that tiny, dark box." Kanade remarked. "And after that, you get praised and rewarded for your work, usually with a tiramisu by that pushover wizard if you can figure things out on your own."

"Damn, who would've thought that despite being more dangerous than me, you'd be a social butterfly?" The broker scoffed. "I mean, I work pretty hard around here, but you get all the credit."

"That's because I do something called 'socializing', you should try it out sometime." The tiny guitarist replied without missing a beat. "But then again, you must be too occupied with getting early onset lung cancer to care."

"At least it's better than being a doormat to a bitchy sibling. Besides, my life was already fucked long ago." Syobai shrugged. "I really don't care what happens, just as long as I get paid in the end. In the end, I'll find a way to stay alive, like I always have. What have you done to stay alive, other than mooch off your sister?"

"Wow, you actually think that I live off of her skills? Pfft, you've got it all backwards." Kanade sighed. "Useless Hibiki can only rely on me, so I have to do all the work for her. Cooking, cleaning, shopping, lifting, I've had to learn a lot of skills to keep up with her demands."

"But in the end, you really have no reason to stay with her. If you're so independent, why don't you just let her sink or swim?" The taller man questioned.

Kanade stayed silent for a few moments before answering. "No idea. It...literally just slipped my mind. Why was I with her again?" She murmured.

"Hm, you don't look like you're lying." Syobai observed, having seen a bunch of good liars in his lifetime. "Heh, you must be spending too much time with albino girl. Well, I'd better leave you and your shitty memory alone before I catch it too." He joked as he walked away.

Kanade rolled her eyes and turned around, deciding to just take a shower before having a nap. But during her walk, the question was ringing in her brain. Why was she so close with her older sister, even if she abused her daily? There had to be a reason, but it had suddenly disappeared from her mind as she tried to recall it for Syobai.

She had to be going insane somehow, there was no other explanation. But she just couldn't identify the cause. Was it some onset of a sudden illness...or was it the island itself?