Chapter One: Hello, stranger.

"Today is the day!" My mother says, strutting into my bedroom. Making her presence known to everyone.
I stand from my dresser and turn to give my mom a hug. "I know, and I can't wait." I say leaving the embrace. Returning to my seat so my maids can finish my hair.
"Who would have known. My daughter, chosen to court the prince!" She says excited beyond belief.

It's always been her dream for me to marry a prince.

"Isabella honey, have you packed your bags yet?" She says looking around my room. "What would I need to pack for? I'm coming back here after each night."

My mother scoffs at me. "Our humble home is too far out from the palace."

I let out a laugh. Our home is far from humble. There's gold lining in every single room with marble pillars. We also have maids sitting outside every single room in the house.

"Come on, Mama. It's not too far, I can wake up early." I say, I've never been away from home.

"Isabella that is too far for our horses to go back and forth everyday." She sighs, picking up the dress I'd set out for tonight.

"You." She points to a maid, "make sure my darling Isabella has a dress for every occasion possible." The maid nods.

My mother lays the dress back down and starts to head for the door. At the last second looking back towards me. "Isabella, make sure to be the best." She says sternly. "Of course, Mama." I say, letting go of the breath I'd been holding.

After a few hours, the maids are finished with my appearance. I stand up and make my way to the full body mirror in the corner of my room. My hair is pulled back into two small braids meeting at the back of my head. The rest of my hair is curled left free. A few pieces in the front frame my face. My dress is a light champagne color. The straps are resting on my arms with a subtle v-neck. The top is mostly lace, with a flower type effect towards the bottom.

"My lady," a maid says as I turn around to look at her. "The madam is calling for you downstairs." She sends me a small smile, "Thank you, Clara."

I make my way down the hall. I see my mother is standing waiting for me. She's holding a small rectangular box.

"I wore this when your father and I met. I believe it will bring you luck." She hands my the gift and I lift the lid. "A mask," I say almost sounding like a question. "Yes Isabella, a mask. Don't forget the first few days everyone wears a mask. You know, to weed out the snobby attitudes."

"Thank you, Mama." She grabs the mask from the box and signals me to turn around. Once she finished tying the mask around my face, I turn back. "Absolutely beautiful," she says.

Before I can say anything my mom turns to go down the stairs. "You're escort is here, so make haste." She finally makes her way down the stairs.

I take a deep breath and head downstairs.

"Princess!" My father says once he sees me. My mother looks at him, "Oh please. She's not a princess, yet." My father sends a smile my mother's way, "You're absolutely right, Casandra."

My father turns and grabs my hand gently. "Allow me to introduce you to who you'll be staying with." He motions his hand towards two men. The blonde one speaks up first, "My name is Ethan. It's nice to meet you." He sends me a charming smile and I smile back. My father motions towards the other man. He has dark brown hair and had a rough and tough look to him. He turns and looks at me. He has a large scar starting from his jaw to his cheekbone. "This is Alexander."

I suddenly get embarrassed at my staring. "It's nice to meet you, Alexander." My father squeezed my hand. "You'll be staying at Alexander's house during your courting." I shoot my eyes up at my father.

I'll be staying with him?

"Gentlemen, this is my daughter Isabella." He says signaling towards me. I panicked and give an abrupt, "Thank you!" Realizing I didn't finish my sentence, I slowly force it it out. "For letting me stay with you, —I mean." A blush rushing up my cheeks.

My mother clears her throat.

"Well, Isabella. I suppose it's time to see you off." She gives me a tight hug and my dad soon after. I turn to Alexander and Ethan about to head off.

My mother grabs my wrist tightly. "Isabella, you will only dance with the prince." She says in a demanding tone. I feel everyone looking at me. "I always listen to you, Mama." I smile at her.

Ethan opens the carriage door. Alexander steps in first and I follow. I sit diagonal from Alexander. Ethan closes the door to the carriage and sits on the outside with the driver.

I look out the window and wave to them. When they think we're far enough I see their faces fall and they turn away from each other.

We've been sitting in the carriage for about three hours. There's been an uncomfortable silence. Neither of us know what to say.

Suddenly there was a bang on the window, and I jump. Alexander opens it and Ethan pokes his head in. "Sorry we're not a fast ride, young miss." He says with a cheeky smile. I slide to the side so I can see him better. "There is no rush, Ethan. Also, Isabella is fine."

Alexander closed the window and we sit back in an awkward silence.

"Alexander, is there something you want to say?" He's been staring at me for a few minutes. I turn my body to fully look at him. "For someone attempting to court the prince, you don't seem to be in a rush." He sounds as if he's interrogating me. I let out a small laugh, "I suppose you're right. Good things happen to those who wait."

The conversation ends as quickly as it started.