CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Leaving the Arcade felt like losing a limb. While Matthew had only been there a couple of hours, he felt the strangest connection to the place in that short time. It was knowing that once they left, they wouldn't be able to come back, that made Matthew the most worried.

They were all ready to leave, equipped with sharp things and their new knowledge, when Matthew found Olive in the kitchen.

She was kneeling against the cold tile floor, some of which she had pulled back, revealing a hole in the cement. She leaned over it, looking into it, her backpack next to her.

"What are you doing?" Matthew asked from her side. She wiped the sweat from her forehead.

"This wasn't mine. I found it when we first took salvation here," Olive removed Matthew's father's plans from the pack, just as she said so, and lifted them out into the open.

"What are you doing?" Matthew repeated, this time with further urgency.

"It's okay, Matthew. I figure, if we get caught... We can't exactly let them have these," she said.

"Oh God, you're right," Matthew breathed, imagining the possibility of them getting caught. It almost hadn't crossed his mind.

He leaned down next to her, looking down into the hole beside her as she started to lift the tiles back into place, the plans now there in the ground. He felt emotionally drained, particularly nervous as he watched the plans disappear. He hated knowing they were out of his hands.

"You always think of the right things," he laughed, and she turned to him, her hair brushing against his cheek.

She didn't move back, but stayed, so close to him. So close he could feel the warmth of her breath tickle his cheek, just barely...

The door snapped open behind them, and Dusty stepped through, barely fitting in the short doorway. He watched them a moment, just long enough for the two to snap into more casual positions.

"Yeah?" Matthew asked.

"Everyone's ready to go," Dusty said. "It's 7:20."

"Okay. Let's head out," Matthew said as he stood. Olive stood up beside him, her shoulders back in defiance.

"Let's go get 'em," Olive said, and her smile gave Matthew courage.

He squared his chest like she did, and stepped through behind her into the main room.

The troops were standing by the doorway, covered up to their necks and guarding their faces best they could with rags, sleeves, hoods, masks. The world outside burned crimson, and a wave of smoke hit the windows. It was so thick and dark, Matthew almost expected it to make a sound.

Dusty was standing by the doors, rubbing his hands together in a mix of nerves and excitement. The boys were behind him, silent, but more purpose in the way they stood. Meng behind them, and right on her tail was Jason, who looked up at Matthew when he came in sight.

"Hey," Olive said, addressing everyone. They all turned to her expectantly.

"So everyone's coming with me, except for you, Jason. You're going with Matthew," Olive said.
"What? Why?" Jason asked, his eyes darting between the both of them.

"Because we need someone to go with him, and everyone else is coming with me," Olive said.

"You're just gonna put aside whatever differences we have for the next few hours," Matthew said as he approached Jason, taking the flathead he had found in the storage closet, and pushing it into Jason's abdomen. The boy took it, unwillingly, and scowled at Matthew.