36 - Aftermath

I slowly opened my eyes, immediately squinting in discomfort at the ray of sunlight that hit them. They felt swollen and were most likely red from the crying I'd done last night.

I panicked for a moment at the unfamiliar room but soon realised where I was. Benji's room looked different in the day time, the blue walls appearing lighter. Letting out a yawn, I sat up, frowning. I wouldn't dare look at myself in the mirror because I suspected I looked worse than I felt.

I licked my cracked lips, glancing at the door that led to his bathroom. It was only polite to freshen up; I didn't want to scare him away with my current appearance.

I padded over to the bathroom and after successfully searching for a toothbrush I completed my hygiene routine, minus a shower. As expected the whites of my eyes were red and the skin around them slightly puffy. My eyebrows were pulled down into a miserable frown that I tried to amend.

I sighed, looking away from my reflection and running a hand through my bed hair. I did my best to tie it into a decent looking ponytail at the nape of my neck, my fingers aching when I was done. At least I looked alive, even if I didn't feel it.

I dragged myself back to Benji's bed and got comfortable. After my breakdown he refused to sleep there but a few tears convinced him. I woke up in the middle of the night to find his strong arms wrapped around me. Sleep was much easier after that.

It was unnaturally quiet in a house with so many residents. I glanced at his clock and startled when I saw it was past nine am. My mum would be wondering where I was! I could only hope she hadn't called the police.

Just as I was about to reach for my phone the bedroom door opened to reveal a comforting sight. Benji stood there dressed and ready for the day with a small smile.

I sluggishly got out of bed and hugged him, his scent wrapping around me calmingly.

"Morning," He mumbled into my hair. "I was wondering when you'd wake up from your coma."

I pulled away, rolling my eyes. "Funny."

He shrugged, smiling down at me. "You're a really heavy sleeper. And you snore."

My mouth dropped open. "You're joking." I exclaimed, mortified. Benji chuckled, shaking his head.

"Wish I was. Sounded like I was asleep next to a train station."

I shoved him gently. "Well you looked pretty comfortable to me." I retorted, walking back to his bed.

"Yeah, you're a great teddy bear. So warm and snugly." Benji cooed, wrapping his arms around me before I could get into the bed. I giggled, pulling both of us down. We got comfortable, my head resting on his chest and his arm around me.

"Have you spoken to my mum?" I asked quietly, scared she was panicked. I hadn't seen for over a day now.

"Yeah, I got up earlier and called her. I didn't tell her all the details but she knows something happened." He responded quietly, rubbing my arm. "I have a free period first so I don't need to be at school now."

I nodded, letting out a sigh of relief. I really didn't want to tell my mum what happened, not yet. I hadn't even processed it myself.

There were unspoken words in the air, filling it with tension. I swallowed, knowing I had to bring up last night.

"So last night really happened?" I whispered, looking up at Benji. His face tightened and he nodded, looking pained.

I closed my eyes, fighting back tears. The familiar feeling of dread and anxiety stirred up inside me.