Ch. 3 Her Song

There it was again! Her image flashed back into his mind and tortured by his guilt, Francis fell to the floor sobbing. Why didn't dedicating his entire self to GOD absolve his sin‽ The sad, sinister song played in his ears once more, but this time it was different; he heard words forming, no longer just a tune:

When an angel falls from heaven

She hits the ground so hard

She looks around for a purpose

With all those milling around

She looks and tries to find her way

Only to discover there is none

The humans that she encounters only focus on their fun

A fallen angel finds a rage

Against those who have sinned

She found her purpose all along

Was to punish those within

The eerie lyrics rang in his ears. The silken, feminine voice sounded so familiar, almost like Hers. He climbed back up and tried to find the unsettling music's source.

For every sinner that she finds

She grows a bit more strong

Until she discovers

They'll all fall to her song

The haunting song grew louder as he stumbled towards the West-most stained-glass window. Did he want to know what the source was? His heart warred with his brain. He knew it was irrational that She would be here, but something deep down told him that this voice was Hers. How could it be Her? Why would She be here?

A fallen angel finds a rage

Against those who have sinned

She found her purpose all along

Was to punish those within

For every sinner that she finds

She grows a bit more strong

Until she discovers

They'll all fall to her song

So watch out for that woman

She'll get you in a daze

That fallen angel's pure voice

Was meant to only raize

He couldn't take it anymore; Francis threw a chunk of the crusty grey stone towards the window, shattering it completely. The singing stopped at once, and there was no one there. He fell to the ground a third time; it was fate that She could never be his again. Was it really the holes in the glass letting out the ringing, letting out the singing that so graced his ears? Grief struck him with a deafening blow as he realized that he was all alone: totally and completely alone. He tried to push himself up off of the floor and became mesmerized by the small bits of glass stuck in his hands, glittering in the moonlight. How is it that something so beautiful could hurt so much?

When he finished plucking the sharp bits from his hand and caught his breath, he dusted himself off and began to rise. Snap! He heard a stick break. When he looked out the window, he saw something more terrifying than he could have ever dreamed. Francis could not see Her face, but he knew. Perhaps She wasn't here to exact revenge upon him. Maybe if he went to Her first, She would understand that it was an accident. She might understand that it wasn't really his fault. He burst through the imposing doors with frantic hope deep within his heart.

Francis needed to get to her. She had to understand. He had no such luck; he saw the spectre turn around towards him. Sweat burst from his pores as She stared towards him with a sad look upon her face and started forwards. She knew! He heard her call out. Francis reeled back to return to the cathedral, hoping that he could be safe within GOD's house. He burst through the monstrous doors and tripped over the rubble from the obliterated pew, falling face-to-face with a dismembered angel's head. She looked angry. Francis heard Her burst through the doors. He spun around to get up. Francis's heart dropped; for the first time, he knew the true meaning of terror. She was standing directly over him. An inhuman sound tore at his throat as she reached her arms towards him. He was completely at her mercy.