Chapter 5: THE FUNERAL

Heaven may just be a heartbeat away … but sometimes that’s just too durn far~~ Gramps

The eulogies … the caskets … the funeral …the tears. So many tears.

Standing at the graveside, Cale struggled to accept the reality before him. He wanted to believe that his parents were still on vacation, not resting in the matching mahogany caskets trimmed with gold hardware to his left.

He tried to concentrate as Aunt Viv shared her memories of his parents with the large crowd of mourners, but he didn’t want to be there. He didn’t want to think about spending the rest of his life without Mom and Dad.

When Aunt Viv was finished, Gramps took her place. Since he wasn’t a man who used ten words when two would do, Cale paid attention.

“I’ve been a part of the Triple R since Wade was a young buck. I outlived his daddy. There ain’t no way I should be outliving that stubborn-excuse-for-a-man-that-I-couldn’t-love-more-if-he-were-my-own-flesh-and-blood.” Gramps slashed his hand through the air. “Ain’t no way.”

His gaze swept the crowd and landed in turn on Cale, Luke, Phoenix, and Jesse. “With God as my witness, I will do my best to see his and Carrie’s young’uns through this. I got those two together and if I’m the one still breathing, then boys… and Li’l Gal, I’ll be here for you.”

Gramps saluted the caskets. “Wade and Carrie, peek in on us from time to time. The Triple R will leave the porch light on for you. Happy trails to you both.”

With a quick nod, Gramps joined Cale and his brothers, shaking each hand with a firm grip. Others shared a few stories and offered some comforting words before Uncle Howard closed the service with a final prayer.

People approached the caskets resting on their biers and bid their final goodbyes.

Luke choked back a sob.

Cale leaned over and gently admonished him. “Get it together, Luke. We agreed … no tears. We have to be brave for the little guys.”

Luke nodded.

Swallowing his own sorrow, Cale caught the shimmer of Brandi’s blue-black taffeta dress in the late-morning sun as she slid out of Scoot’s arms.

Time slowed. Her lower lip trembled.

Cale saw the wail coming, and still, it startled him. He cringed, then plucked her up and hugged her. “It’s okay, Brandi. It’s okay.”

“No, it’s not. That’s the wrong way!” Her legs kicked so fast and hard that he set her down.

She clutched at his black trousers with one hand and leaned toward the caskets, making him stumble. He resisted moving any closer to the coffins. She pulled his slacks harder, her hysteria rising in direct proportion to his inability to comprehend the meaning of her words. “It’s the wrong way! Don’t do it!”.

Luke knelt next to her and rubbed her back, his knees sinking into the cold, moist grass. “It’s okay, Dolly.”

Aunt Viv tried to scoop her up, but Brandi slithered from her grasp. Uncle Howard didn’t fare any better. 

Brandi finally let Luke pick her up. Her desperate cries punctuated the air. “No, no, no!”

Cale groaned.

Phoenix burst into tears. Aunt Viv gathered him in her arms, looking bewildered at how to handle things.

Scanning the crowd, and unable to calm his kid sister, Cale’s mind froze. Brandi’s next shriek freed him. He snatched her from Luke and took her away from everybody. Clutching at her as she tried to slide out of his arms, he did his best to comfort her. “It’s okay, Dolly. Don’t cry.”

“It’s not, okay. It’s not. They’re going to the wrong place.” Brandi heaved to the side.

Barely able to break her fall, Cale grabbed her tiny wrist as she lunged toward the gravesite. He planted his feet to stop her. Her free hand clawed at his, making him think of herding cats.

Cale pulled her close. “Stop!” The command startled her into silence. She crumpled into his lap as he slid to the ground, heartbreaking gasps escaping her tiny frame.

Her muffled sobbing stabbed his heart harder than the hysterical shrieking seconds before.

“What, Brandi? What’s wrong?”

Immediately he scolded himself. What’s right about this? Mom and Dad should be here, and we should all be home—together. Anywhere but here.

She lifted her head. Tears streaming, her eyes locked onto his. “It’s the wrong way,” she whispered.

What’s the wrong way?” he asked firmly, wiping her tears with his thumb.

“Heaven is up. They’re going down.” She blinked and pointed to the cloudless blue sky. “I want them to go up … to heaven.”

Dropping his head, he buried his face in his sister’s chestnut hair and held her tight, struggling for words to help her understand … words that escaped his own understanding.