4. Run!

"How long have we been walking?" Jesse complained.

Looking behind her, Sintra watched as she wiped sweat from her forehead with the back of her hand before returning it to her hip, her face etched into a grimace as she staggered in the sand.

"A few hours maybe? I don't know," Felix responded a little breathlessly. He was walking along side her, his hands resting on the top of his head as if trying to shield it from the sun.

"Ugh, it feels like forever," Jesse replied tiredly.

"We'll get there soon," Sintra tried to encourage them but her words weren't even strong enough to invigorate herself.

The quartet was beyond exhausted. They had been walking for hours in the scorching sun of the desert for what felt like days and so far they had not even halved the distance towards their target.

Vante had remained quiet by her side, glancing at the map ever so often to see how far away they were. He claimed that talking too much made you salivate and since they were out of water, it was best to only communicate when necessary.

Sintra thought it was just a cover up so he wouldn't have to speak with anyone. He was cunning like that.

Jesse had also obviously pissed him off so his silence was just away to dissolve his irritation.

"What does a guy like you do to get stuck in a place like this?" Sintra heard Jesse say as she walked alongside him. She didn't even notice that she had caught up with them.

Vante seemed a little annoyed but Sintra quickly averted her attention back to the holographic map. She was almost sure he wouldn't respond based on what his chagrin but he did and his displeasure was almost palpable.

"Like I'd tell you anything," he told her and a smile formed across Sintra's mouth. She could not understand why but this response had pleased her.

"You're not nice at all," Jesse teased.

"I'm also not a real man according to your standards and by the look of you, I can understand why," Vante responded, a chuckle escaping Sintra's lips as he finished.

She quickly slapped a hand to her mouth as soon as it slipped, dropping the sunglasses she had been holding into the sand.

"That's funny to you, Ms. Sintra? I take it you and him are a thing?" Jesse questioned.

"I'm sure he wishes," Sintra scoffed.

Sintra caught sight of a frown on Vante's lips but he quickly turn it into a straight line, pursing them in exasperation.

"Hey guys, can't we all just get along?" Felix called from behind them. "And where the hell are those so called gifts they said we'd find? I'm thirsty and we're all out of water!"

Sintra agreed. They had been walking for hours now and so far there were no other symbols on the map nor were their any sign of people or gifts on the way.

"I think I see something," Jesse announced, walking past Sintra. "Right there!"

As Sintra followed the direction of her extended hand, her mouth spread into a dry grin, her chapped lips splitting further as she adjusted the bag across her shoulder.

"Are those.."

"Camels!" Sintra exclaimed as finished Vante's sentence, stuffing the map into her bag before rushing off into the distance.