Chapter 6 - The Eyes

Photo credit: Akin from Unsplash

***

"What are you doing?" I asked as Mike made a three-point turn away from our home. "We left Milo in there."

Mike focused on the road, his hands trembling slightly. "Animals are intuitive. He survived whatever attacked Mrs. Crawford, but she didn't."

I frowned. "It's just a statue. What are we supposed to do, abandon our house because of some rumour?"

Mike stopped the vehicle and let it idle. "Until it disappears, yes! You heard what happened to the Fisher kid, the Andersons, and not to mention Mrs. Crawford. After it's gone, we'll decide whether to stay in town."

Stay in the town? After the time it had taken to find this place and how hard I'd worked to build up a client base, he wanted us to start again? Mike couldn't be serious. He'd always been more cautious than me, but this was ridiculous. If I agreed with him, the voice and hallucinations won, just like they had with my mother. I couldn't suffer that fate. 

"We've spent three years establishing ourselves in Corbeau Woods. Let's not make rash decisions." 

He placed his free hand on my arm. "Maybe this is the sign we need. I can transfer to another nursing care home, and you can start fresh with a real job."

Tightness built in my chest. "A real job? Personal training isn't 'legitimate' enough for you?"

Mike sighed. "That's not what I meant, Winston. Don't you want a stable position where you don't have to fight an uphill battle for clients?"

Is that how he saw me? The struggling husband he had to support? "That fight is part of having a business."

Mike took my hand in his cold ones. "I know you're proud of what you've accomplished, but staying in this town with these crimes occurring is crazy."

I jerked out of his grip. The word crazy burned in my heart, as did all the times people had called my mother that after her episodes. "Run all you want. Seems like you're looking for an excuse. I'm checking on Milo and staying at the house." I swung the door open, grabbed my bag, and headed toward our home despite the prickling on my skin.

Mike jumped out but didn't turn off the engine. "Winston, don't do this! Let's spend a night in a hotel and discuss it later. I'm not running from you; it's that monstrosity on our porch!"

"You know where to find me."

"It's not safe! Don't go in there!"

I didn't know if he would follow me or if I wanted him to. Our relationship was the most stable one I'd ever had, but it hurt too much that he considered me crazy. He'd been better at hiding his judgements than others. My heart ached.

Mike groaned. "I'll be in the SUV if you change your mind."

I didn't glance back or acknowledge him. As I reached our driveway, the temperature dropped ten degrees like winter's glacial grip had seized me. I repressed a shiver. The winds were bringing plenty of strange weather our way lately. I kept my gaze on the creepy statue while ignoring the shadows flickering in my peripheral vision.

The walnut base was a half-circle. Cracks radiated through the top where a wooden cylinder began, like an arm shattering through a shoulder socket. Mrs. Crawford's mangled chest flashed before my eyes.

Focus on the sculpture. 

The wooden limb rose three feet to connect to a hand the size of my head. In its palm lay a single eyeball, carved perfectly round with eyelids and a darkened spot for the pupil. As the eyelid appeared to blink, I froze. I fought the urge to look back at Mike. Everything was fine. It was just a statue. My eyes were playing tricks on me.