20.

000d, 00h, 00m, 00s

Head thudding, eyes squinting shut again right away, I woke up the next morning with one of the many painful reminders of why I didn't drink.

Keeping my eyes shut, I stretched in hopes it would make me feel more alive.

And then — remembering where I was — I sat up at once, eyes wide open and suddenly not so bothered by how bright it was. They searched the room in a panic, head cocking back and forth to orientate myself.

Clutching the blanket around me tighter, my eyes fell on the time projected onto the wall. A small shriek escaped my lips as I identified the numbers, clutching the blanket tighter around my body. 

I didn't remember going to sleep with a blanket. But then again, I was quite out of it. I eyed it suspiciously once more before remembering the time and frantically searching the room.

The coffee table in front of me seemed clear of any plates and glasses we had used last night, any spilling wiped away, and the pillows I didn't sleep on fluffed. Eyes further darting through the room, they fell on my clothes.

I mentally thanked past-me for storing a spare set of clothes at The System. Though, what I had in mind when I brought them were coffee-accidents or a particularly hot day; hardly a situation like this. — Where my current clothing reeked of alcohol from the previous night.

Getting up at once and leaving the blanket behind, I swayed slightly at the sudden movement, clutching my head at the sudden throbbing pain behind my eyes as a groan escaped my lips.

Stumbling over to where they were neatly folded on the opposite chair, I hissed loudly as my little toe hit the foot of the table. Cursing and muttering insults under my breath with no regard to who might hear me — I honestly forget anyone else could, in the panic I was in — I threw myself into the same clothes from yesterday.

Doing my best to pat out the creases in them and twirling around myself twice in the process — almost knocking off a lamp from its stand before catching it again last minute — another loud "Fuck," escaped my lips.

My eyes flickered over to the time once more.

8:49 — I'd never make it in time.

Running not only all the way to Arcan City, but all the way through it, as well. I knew I had to try.

Hurrying to grab my bag, my eyes trailed over to the archway leading towards the exit, a familiar figure standing in it. Leaning against the wall, his arms crossed with a cup in his hand, Esmond sported an amused grimace as he watched me running back and forth in his living room.

A groan escaped my lips at his presence, the blatant entertainment he was getting from this not really making me appreciate it any more.

"You could help me, you know," I grumbled, face twitching into a scowl at the way he just watched.

"I'm okay." The words left his mouth with a shrug, lips still twitching upwards into a condescending smile as I hurried up the three steps out of the lounge area.

Not even stopping as I rushed past him, I snatched the cup he was holding out of his hand, recognising in disappointment that the steaming liquid wasn't coffee but tea.

I took a sip anyway, burning my tongue as well as spilling drops of it over my hand due to the fast pace my feet carried me in. With a huff, he followed me out of the house.

I didn't mind it, this time, because it meant I could simply hand the cup back to him before I slipped into my shoes and opened the door. I noticed him putting the cup down on a window sill, though didn't pay further attention to the gesture as I hurried out of the house.

8:54 — There was absolutely no way I'd make it there in time. Head snapping back up from the watch around my wrist, I picked up my pace; stumbling and tripping over loose stones scattered around their property on my way off it.

Just as I turned to see the tall buildings glistening in the sunlight in the distance, a singular, low laugh escaped the brunette's lips, and I turned around one last time to send him a glare.

He shook his head then, casually striding over to where I was stood. "You know what? Fuck you," I deadpanned at the amusement displayed in his features. He tilted his head with a smirk, and without waiting for a reply, I turned around and walked.

The walking turned into a half-run rather quickly, my feet carrying me closer to Arcan City quicker than I would've thought.

"This is what it feels like to be alive, Amidelle!" He yelled after me, then.— the comment didn't make me stop in my tracks but made me pick up my pace, instead.

It was half a marathon, one train ride and fifteen minutes later, that I arrived at The System panting and heaving.

"That's a first," Eddie laughed, quirking a brow at my exhausted, sweaty self.

"This never happened," I warned, a finger pointed at the security guard playfully as I rummaged through my bag for the badge. Taking his hands up in defeat, a laugh escaped his lips as he watched me hold it against the reader.

"What never happened?" He joked, and I nodded vigorously.

"Exactly."

I really relaxed for the first time when I had changed into fresh clothing and fell into my chair. A deep sigh escaped my lips at the motion, leaning into the backrest especially deep today.

I closed my eyes only for a moment, taking another deep breath and collecting myself as my brain went through this morning's events.

My eyes snapped open at a stern voice right next to my chair, back straightening all on its own.

"Mr Monroe would like to see you."