31 Erased

Nora~~

The security footage shows Radia being taken by five people dressed all in black. Their masks hide their faces.

It starts with Radia writing on the memo pad before looking over her shoulder. She throws the pad out of the way and pushes the chair into the walkway as the group enters the frame. They catch her before she can get far.

The security guard on duty tracked the footage of them as they left the building. They took a fire exit.

Tye's arm has wrapped itself around me as the security guard shows us the footage per the request of the man who asked if we had seen Radia in the first place. Her boss. He studies each frame, searching for any detail.

He saw the memo pad when he came with two other coworkers to the third floor after we had told him what we had found. The note made no sense to any of them. Tye made sure to take a picture of it before it was taken as evidence.

*****

Tye and I return to his and Radia's apartment building. I swipe her key over her door sensor, but the door doesn't open. Tye tries his key from Radia with the same result.

I need to tell him the truth about what happened yesterday. He has to understand that not everything in this world is true. That Charlie, his boss, is wrapped up in it.

Tye's key for his own apartment at least works and opens his door. Lining the walls in his entryway are cardboard boxes.

I recognize Radia's clothes immediately. The boxes are filled with items and clothes that Radia bought. Some of the items are clothes I brought over yesterday.

On the counter are the groceries Radia helped me carry.

Behind me, the door clicks shut, and Tye is nowhere to be seen. I call out to him, but he doesn't answer. He must have gone to check on something. That's all. Don't panic about that. You have bigger problems.

I dig through the boxes, hoping for some sort of clue. If she was taken by the same people, they'll let her go eventually. She'll be in the same building they took me.

In my mind, I can see Cobbs's window, the view of the skyscrapers in the distance and a black fence.

We were outside of Somnia.

No one goes outside of the fence.

Tye returns, but I can't say he's okay. His eyes are red, and he brushes tears from his cheeks. "The front desk says no one lives in her room. There's no record of her living there, though the man at the desk knew that she had."

She's being erased as if this is all permanent.

"I didn't quit because Charlie and I got in a fight. I quit because Charlie turned me in."

"What do you mean turned you in?"

"I think to Somnia's government?"

"I work for the government, and so did you until yesterday."

"Whoever they are, they have power." I tell him everything, not holding back. He needs to know who he's working for if we're going to find Radia and in case they come for him next.

"Where are the bruises?" he asks when I finish.

I rub my arm, realizing how unbelievable my story must sound. "I wish I knew."

He sinks down onto the couch. "I know Charlie. He wouldn't do something like this. Did you even see the way that boy looked at you when you were both here the other day? I wouldn't have trusted anyone in that moment to protect you like I would have Charlie."

"Tye . . ."

"You'd have injuries."

I let my arm fall to my side. "I wish I was making this up, but I'm not."

"It wouldn't be the first time you saw something that wasn't real." Instead of hardening, his eyes soften, filling with pity. "But if you think Charlie could know where Radia is, I'll go see him tonight. I know where he lives. And tomorrow we'll go to City Hall when it opens."

Could I have made it all up in my head? I felt it though. The way the woman's fists dug into my skin. The way my skin burnt against the ropes. Yet when I saw myself planting chrysanthemums, I couldn't feel the dampness of the dirt or the delicateness of the petals.

"But if what you're saying is true, I don't want you coming with me to Charlie's."

"I can't do nothing."

"I have a better chance of Charlie opening up if you're not there."

He's right. I sink onto the couch. After our last conversation, Charlie won't be willing to see me, let alone speak to me.

"First thing in the morning we'll go to City Hall, okay?"

Nodding, I clasp my hands together. "Just be safe. I can't lose you too."

"You won't." He grabs his phone and wallet. "I promise."

Count those fingers.

~Mikaela