Chapter Nineteen | Blood for Blood

YEOREUM

I will if I can—that's my mind's immediate response.

An idea emerges when I examine the sincerity in Saeeun's teary eyes.

"This isn't something you should discuss with me," I say. I jerk my sink tap to the side and put my hands through the rushing water. "It would be more effective if you talk to Jungkook about this."

"Jungkook only seems obsessed with you because he is confused," Saeeun says. "If you leave him, he will realise you're not the right person for him."

"Yes, but to end a relationship, both parties must agree. What if Jungkook doesn't agree to leave me? That's why it would be crucial for you, an objective third party, to convince Jungkook I am not the right person for him," I utter. "I can help you to do that."

"Just leave Jungkook," Saeeun yells. "Why are you so shameless? You don't deserve him."

I rinse the soap off my hands, clenching back the urge to slap Saeeun.

"Saeeun-ssi, as an older person, I would like to give you some advice," I say. I pull some paper towels out of the silver dispenser. "Your eyeliner smudged into your eye. It's a bad idea to wear makeup when you're still recovering from plastic surgeries."

A grunt roars through Saeeun's nostrils. I roll my eyes and amble away, ignoring her temper tantrum.

Saeeun's high heels echo through my ears like a siren when I step into the hallway. An instinct tugs me to turn around.

"Song Yeoreum," Saeeun growls. She clenches the butterfly knife in her fist. "Die."

The wickedly sharp blade gleams under the lights. I watch it inch closer and closer to me, failing to convince my legs to move backwards.

Two jarring urges occupy my legs. One urge paralyses me with the desire to use this opportunity. I'll be freed from all my pains and sorrows the moment that knife touches me. Fuck Jungkook, fuck my escape plan, fuck everything.

But the other urge suggests a completely different idea. It pushes me to dodge Saeeun's attack, chiding me for letting this bitch-ass maniac harm me.

"Yeoreum," Jungkook shouts. He rushes to the hallway with Jaeyoon following behind him. "Watch out."

Jungkook's shock-strained voice reorients my mind, bringing victory to my second urge. But it's too late. Saeeun's knife is too close to me.

Suddenly, Jungkook turns me around with a swift clasp. He tugs me into his shielding arms, allowing the knife to pierce his shoulder.

Jungkook is incredibly close to me. I can hear the sound of the knife slit through his flesh and veins to swallow up his blood. A pain shoots through my shoulder at the noise.

"Jungkook Oppa!" Saeeun cries.

Every time Saeeun sucks in a breath, a layer of colour peels away from her face. She falls back against the wall with her hands quivering like she is going to lapse into hyperventilation.

"I didn't mean to, Jungkook Oppa. No, I wasn't going to—"

"Jaeyoon, send Miss Kwon home," Jungkook says with a crack in his voice. He tries to lean on me, but my arms are powerlessly locked beside my waist. His unsupported body soon falls to the ground next to my feet. "Also, call me an ambulance."

Jaeyoon drags Saeeun away as he makes the call. Saeeun flails in objection, wheezing and rasping in Jaeyoon's firm seize. Soon, her wails fade away into the emergency exit.