Can We Agree To Disagree?

Recently, I've had some conversations with my children and it has dawned on me that their generation thinks WAY differently than my generation. 

Back in my day (yep I have hit the age where I say that), we didn't have as many choices as we do today as far as our sexuality goes.  It's almost overwhelming!  Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, Pan-Sexual, Transgender, Self Identifying....I'm sure the list goes on, I can't keep up!   Please don't think I'm judging, I have friends that I love who have a different sexual preference than I do. I bring this particular subject up because it's a hot topic now and we can all get lost in our own opinions.

I'm going to be honest here.....I don't agree with those lifestyles and a few years back I was caught up in judging people for their lifestyles, and being the perfect parent (ha!), I was also teaching my children the same legalistic/judgmental nonsense. I have learned (the hard way as always, sigh) it is not my job to make sure everyone is living the life I think they should live, nor is it my job to make sure my kids agree with me....how dare I.   

Oftentimes as a parent we tend to force our opinions on our children, myself included. I actually had to catch myself the other day saying, "that's not right," when discussing a certain topic. My response was not right, and I quickly said, "I'm sorry, what I meant to say is I don't agree with you, but that's ok if you believe that."  It's not my job to prove them wrong, and I admit I have been guilty of that.

As a parent I need to teach my children they have the freedom to have their own opinions and beliefs.  

I need to teach my children two people can be friends and have different beliefs.  

I need to teach my children not to judge others based on their lifestyle, beliefs or color of skin(ya I'm gonna throw that one in, super important).  

I need to teach my children to worry more about a person's soul than their sexual preference.  

I need to teach my children that loving a person regardless of their lifestyle can reach more souls than standing on a corner with a sign that says "HOMOSEXUALITY IS A SIN."  True story, I did see that and it disgusted me.  

I need to teach my children that two people can love each other and disagree.   

One way I can teach this to them is respecting their opinion, regardless of whether I agree or not.

Imagine a world where people can be different from each other and still get along!