6

"I hope that a simple meal will be okay for you, Princess." I smiled at him, grateful that Emma and Theo were watching the TV in the other room.

"I suppose it will have to do," I replied, feigning ignorance, "I'm so hungry, I could eat you, Daddy."

Okay, so it wasn't the best phrasing of things, but it seemed to get Roger going. His jeans began to tighten.

Roger looked at me, smirking, and narrowing his eyes at me. "You did that on purpose, Princess -"

"Did what, Daddy?" Emma asked, appearing in the doorway.

"Nothing, Em." Roger said quickly. I coughed, covering up my laugh. Roger shot me a look and I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle.

Emma eyed me suspiciously. "Do you need something, sweetie?"

"Theo said he needed you." Roger excused himself from the kitchen and went into the living room, leaving me alone with Emma.

I sat down at the breakfast bar and smiled at her. "Are you alright, Emma?" I asked her, slightly confused as to why she was watching me with the same eyes as her dad. She narrowed them, like he had done a few minutes previously.

"Are you Daddy's girlfriend?"

"Well," I bit my lip. What could I say to her? What would Roger want me to tell her? I didn't want to unknowingly go against his parenting. "I don't know, Darling. Maybe that's a question for your dad."

"I don't think daddy would tell me." Emma replied, furrowing her eyebrows as she crossed the kitchen and sat on the chair beside me, "he doesn't like talking about feelings."

I smiled at the little girl, leaning forward a litte. "Shall I tell you a secret?" She nodded. "Men don't like talking about their feelings. They leave that to us girls."

Emma smiled. "I like you, Sarina."

I felt flattered. "I like you too, Emma," I told her honestly, "you're such a nice little girl. You're exactly like your dad -"

"People say I'm like my mummy." I bit my lip. I was unsure of what to say next. "Even daddy says it."

"Who do you want to be like, Emma?" I asked her, deciding to treat her like she was an adult - well, at least make her feel that way, anyway.

"Like my daddy." Emma said simply. "He's always around, and he looks after us. He always puts us first." Wise words for a seven year old.

"Emma," I said seriously, though trying to be as light-hearted as possible, "you can be whoever you want to be. You can be like your dad, or like your mum. You can be like -"

"You?"

"You hardly know me." I answered. "What if I'm a unicorn-killing-maniac?"

Emma giggled, putting her hand over her mouth. "You're not." She paused. "Daddy wouldn't love a unicorn-killing-maniac." I blushed. "And you love daddy."

"Emma, I -"

"I think somebody's telling porky-pies." The two of us looked up in unison to see Roger stride back into the kitchen. "Theo was watching the television, Emma." He looked at her, "and said he'd asked you to go and get him a drink."

"Daddy, I -"

He cut Emma off with a kiss to the top of her head. "Only kidding, Sweetie. I don't mind if you want to spend extra time with Sarina - but you'll have to share, alright?" His teasing was sweet, and I thought it was lovely that he had that kind of relationship with his daughter. "After dinner, you need to go right to bed, okay? You don't want to be tired tomorrow, do you?"