37. It Is A Pleasure to Meet You

13 June 1892

Rosalie clutched Lily's hand with her own, both of them wearing pastel silk gloves to separate themselves from the swarm of debutantes in the ballroom, who had donned gowns and matching accoutrements in pure, pristine white. The air shone with excitement, positively shimmering with the aura of what was sure to be a very grand time. It would be a gas, as her father liked to say. Not that Lord Winthrop attended many social obligations, even when he was in Town, which he was now.

Sadly, Mary's parents had forbidden her from attending while Emma was busy with wedding preparations, but with only the two of them, it was still sure to be a grand time. Pitchers of lemonade with sprigs of mint sat off to the side on white-draped tables. The chandeliers sent fractals of crystalline light spinning all around them, making her feel as though she were lying under a canopy of branches in the summer, the patterns of light dappled as they shifted across her. Gentlemen in black suits and well-fitted trousers were mingling about the room in pairs or clusters, while the ladies wore strings of pearls, held fans, and were clad in redingotes, which they were discarding at the entrance to keep in the coat closet.

Her every inhale smelled of romance and delight, and her every exhale was a swooning sigh. Had there ever been such a night? She adjusted her mask self-consciously, which covered enough of her face that she felt certain no scandal would occur if someone were to attempt to discern her identity. Besides, these were all friends of Lily's family–none of them would know who she was.

"Rosalie, are you quite alright? You look rather flushed and the night has barely begun," Lily teased, her blonde curls tucked into a chignon at her nape. "You are not in need of a fainting couch, are you?"

She shook her head. "No, I am simply savouring the atmosphere. I hope this does not spoil the experience when I do have my first coming out in society."

"Nonsense, every party is enjoyable in its own way." Lily steered her into the crush. "Look, now, allow me to tell you about our esteemed guests. There in the corner is my sister, speaking to Lord Palliser, the Earl of Didsbury. She seems to have set her cap on him, and he doesn't mind much–he is, after all, of an age to be married, at twenty and seven. And next to him is his spinster sister, Laura, she rejected many a match because they were only after her brother's money and estates."

Rosalie gave a nervous chuckle, some of her excitement fading into anxiety about the future. "You mustn't be so rude. Do you really know that she is a spinster? How old is she?"

Lily laughed but looked bashful. "My apologies. You are correct, she is only twenty and three. And next to them, no, don't look now, the woman in the lovely green gown..."

As they discussed the guests in the room, a song suddenly began to play and the guests broke into a waltz. A rather scandalous dance, she was informed by Lily, for when the waltz had first become popular, mothers everywhere had been horrified by the thought of dancing in such a way that one could hold their partner's body rather close. Suddenly, a rather clumsy but ravishing young lady bumped into Lily, causing her to spill her drink. Her mask was plain and her gown classic yet unadorned, but it only accentuated her lovely features: raven hair, high cheekbones, and green eyes. She was accompanied by a man who seemed caught in between the gangly awkwardness of adolescence and the firm confidence of manhood.

"Oh, you must forgive me," the young lady said. "I am so awfully sorry."

Lily was temporarily out of sorts, but she recovered quickly. "No, it is quite alright. An honest mistake, with the number of dancing couples around us. I am Lily Edwards, the sister of Regina Edwards, whom you may have met earlier."

"No, I am afraid that I haven't had the chance to meet the hostess," the dark-haired woman said. "I am Da-That is, Delia Barnes."

"This is my dear friend, Lady Rosemary Williams," Lily said, introducing her under a false name as they had agreed to do. "And your companion?"