Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Alex hopped off her perch by the window, her plaid skirt complementing her combat boots for a punk look. Her eye makeup was suffering after sleeping in the classroom though. I still wasn't sure how her grades had even slipped low enough to have been in my room for an extra credit assignment anyways. She was normally a bit above average; the last six weeks had been the start of her grades declining. The notebook in her hand showed a page filled with writing and diagrams. She sat next to Emma and contemplated her notes, making marks in the margins and drawing lines from one thing to another, underlining words, and adding circles. I checked my phone again, still unable to get any actual texts or calls through. I would love to hear Jessica's voice. We were still messaging several times a day over the internet, but I was growing more anxious as time went on. Our situation in the classroom was fast approaching critical and I couldn't lean on Jessica for support like I normally could. She was my rock. I blocked out these negative thoughts, knowing that I had four sets of eyes on me, looking towards me for guidance. I rationed out our food and laid it out on the table for everyone to choose their portion. Jackson quickly inhaled his food, accustomed to consuming many more calories than this in a days' time because of his athletics I think he was struggling the most when it came to food. We haven't run out yet and I could tell it was causing a strain on his psyche. Taking away a person's food security is a big deal. It sets off a survival instinct that can lead us to some critical mistakes. Letting our stomachs lead us rather than our brains. Humans can operate at a higher level of focus when hungry, it's been proven with cultures who fast on a regular basis, but I think with our circumstances it would have a negative effect. We have the added stress of violence in our hallways, being separated from our families, and lack luster communication with the outside world.

Myself, Jeremy, and the other girls took a bit more time consuming our food and I could see the regret on Jackson's face, but luckily, he didn't complain.

"Okay, let's talk. Tell me what your thoughts are about leaving the room. What have you all found in here that might help?"

Jeremy spoke up first.

"Okay, we've got our lab goggles here. We don't know how this is transmitted from person to person. If it's transferred through fluid we'll be in a bad spot if we have to get close to one of thoses...things. We might not even know it has happened at all and it could be too late by then."

I nodded in agreement as he spoke and he continued on with other things they had arranged on the table.

"We've got our lab gloves laid out, though I'm not so sure those are a good idea." He scrunched up his face and shrugged his shoulders. "I'm afraid we may be nervous out there and we'll sweat inside the gloves, which could cause us to lose a hold of our weapons."

Jackson proudly displayed some type of improved club as Jeremy said this.

"That's a good point and one I hadn't thought about, what else?"

Jackson interrupted.

"So, we've decided to ration our this big ole giant jug of hand sanitizer in little beakers for everyone's bags. If we come in contact with one of them, we clean up as fast as possible. And ya know, we could always set these bad boys on fire and throw them at them. Not quite as cool as a Molotov, but you have to take what you can get." He flicked a flint striker to drive his point home.

"I mean, you've got a point. I think sanitation is good to focus on, but unless it's just our absolute last line of defense, let's try not to set anything on fire. The building is built out of block, but do you want one of those things coming at you...on fire? Raises the danger factor by quite a bit."