The thief [Ben Barnes x Reader]

Title: The thief

Pairing: Ben Barnes x Female!Reader

Word count: 5.3k

Published: 8 April 2021

Author: Heloise Daphne Brightmore

Notes: If you enjoy my stories, please consider donating and supporting me on Ko-fi. [ https://ko-fi.com/heloisedaphnebrightmore ]

Working behind the scenes of a movie set has always been what you dreamed of. You were never quite determined enough to be a director, a producer or a script writer, nor did you have the passion for it, but you certainly had an aesthetic view that just fit perfectly to find the right objects for particular scenes. Therefore, you became the prop-girl. Of course, you had an official title, property assistant to be exact, but seemingly everyone preferred the prop-girl title and after years of fighting it, you just gave in. That was the least of your problems after all.

The amount of effort put into all those blockbuster movies sometimes sucked your soul out. Considering the huge amount of work you have put in, you never really looked at it as a job. You loved what you were doing even if people sometimes looked down on you for being "just" the prop-girl. Even though you had some unpleasant encounters with some of Hollywood's sweethearts, it never discouraged you, because amongst all the rotten apples, there were always those that made you just a little happier, a little giddier, a little more excited about a new day.

There was a certain person who ticked all the boxes in brightening your day and you often caught yourself staring at him shamelessly. His positivity, refreshing personality and banter always caught you off guard and for mere seconds you even forgot to pay attention to the tasks you were supposed to be completing. You knew you were good at your job, hell you were one of the best, but seemingly Ben's presence set you back on quite a few occasions.

As you were watching him act out a scene along with his co-star Amber Rose Revah, you tried to focus on organising a dining table for his upcoming scene, but you just couldn't concentrate when Ben walked around the room half naked with only a towel covering the lower half of his body. No sane person could have paid attention to anything beside Ben. He walked across the set with a straight back, a wide and happy grin across his face, securely holding the top of his towel around his waist. Even if you wanted to look away, you couldn't have possibly forgotten the view. He wasn't just a great company, but a very handsome one to look at.

"Prop-girl, that table won't set itself," you heard a grumpy voice from behind you and quickly started to set the cutleries and plates in an orderly fashion. Knowing you had to work quickly finally diverted your attention from Ben and the steamy scene about to happen. It wasn't their first time acting out their bedroom scene and each time it got even more heated. The director didn't seem to be happy with the outcome, so he kept pushing them to do it over and over again. As you arranged the fruits in a small wooden basket, you tried to forget the tiny little weight settling in your stomach, jealousy resurfacing within you. Knowing you had no right to be jealous as a mere friend, you always attempted to mask it.

As you finished setting the table, you walked back to the gigantic prop room and started searching for another set of objects for the same scene. Each day you arranged everything in an orderly fashion, but many of you worked on different scenes, so it was inevitably a mess most of the time and things were never where you left them. You heaved a heavy sigh, trying to calm yourself down, knowing it would take ages to find what you were looking for and a frustrated state would not help your case.

"Hey, prop-girl, is the scene ready?" you heard the same grumpy voice again. It was your boss, Jerry who seemed to have a grudge against you even though you never talked back to him or went against his orders.