10. It's You

If he really isn't Spider-Man, then he won't know what Bucky's talking about, since Peter isn't aware that he'd helped save a cat earlier that day.

Bucky half expects to see the replying message saying, 'Cat? What are you talking about?'

But what he gets instead, is:

*****

Peter
Wait
No way
You
No
That can't be

Me
Have you forgotten how to text in full sentences, Petya?

Peter
The cat
As in the cat from the drain??

Me
Yep

Peter
OH
MY GOD
You're him
???
THE James Barnes
Not A James but THE James
I've been talking to you all this time?????

Me
That's me

Peter
Holy shit
Um
That's
Brb

*****

Bucky's heart momentarily plummets.

Oh no. He didn't scare Peter off, did he? Shit...

*****

Peter
Sorry I left you for like a few mins just now
but umm I had to process

Me
S'fine, Webs
Not gonna blame ya for fanboying

Peter
Fanboying- okay, I resent that
I wasn't fanboying I was mildly freaking out
Having a slight crisis you know
Considering the fact that I've been texting an Avenger/Superhero/Celebrity and have most likely made myself look stupid so many times 🤠🤠

*****

Peter doesn't like calling himself a fanboy, he's just an average admirer. Celebrities, especially those in the superhero category, had admirers and casual fans all the time. If he was younger, then he definitely would've been some cringey hardcore fanboy, but not anymore.

But it's well known fact to everyone that knows Peter well enough that Bucky has always been... the most, cough, attractive Avenger to him. And to find out that he's been talking to his superhero-crush-but-also-not-a-crush-no-matter-how-many-times-MJ-keeps-telling-him for months, it just seems too unreal. Like a plot of one of his dreams come true.

Over these months, he's really enjoyed James' virtual company and all of their conversations. The older man is sweet and patient, puts up with his ramblings, somehow always knows what to do and the right things to say. He's a comfort to Peter, and on the occasions where James doesn't text for a while due to 'work', Peter misses him a lot. More than he should for someone who's just a friend.

To discover that the man he admires from afar, his widely known Avenger persona, and the man that he can always confide in and talk to for hours on the phone until 3am, his James, are one and the same... Peter isn't sure he can really believe it.

*****

Peter
Also, Webs??
Ohh yeah you know that I'm Spider-Man I forgot lol
I'm... surprisingly okay with that
Cause it's you
And I know you won't tell one
I trust you

*****

Peter trusts me. That line makes Bucky feel... fuzzy. Trust is, and should be, the last thing a person finds in Bucky. But Peter does, even when knowing his real identity.

******

Peter
Btw do you want your jacket back?

Me
It's alright doll, you can keep it
I've got plenty others

Peter
No no, I feel like I should give it back to you!!
The leather feels expensive
We should meet up or something so you can take it
And Alpine is such a cute name for the cat omg
How is he?

Me
He's so tiny. Like you.

Peter
Hey! I'm not small!

Me
Sure you aren't, Petya.

Peter
Jamessssss

Me
Also, don't think I've forgotten that you called me 'too hot for my own good'

Peter
PLEASEEE NO
I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS U I WAS TALKING TO OKAY
I'm gonna go crawl into a hole and disappear
This is all your fault
Goodbye cruel world

*****

Bucky snorts. He doesn't know why, but he finds it fun to tease Peter. His reactions are always adorable.

He's too absorbed in their conversation to notice Nat standing in front of him. Or more like- he's aware of her standing there but is intentionally ignoring her. The woman kicks his ankle, making Bucky sigh and look up at her unwillingly.

"Someone else got your attention, Barnes?"