Assembly

The next morning Eileen and Ben arrived at school thirty minutes before the busses.

Ben's face showed confusion, "The gym's dark. Coach always arrives real early. We used to think he slept here."

"Maybe he does," Eileen mused, imagining him as a troll sleeping under the bridge he'd claimed. It wasn't a far stretch.

Her eyes traced the face of the gym and noticed something white flapping in the wind. "Is that a sign on the door?"

Ben jogged over and pressed the paper down, reading it quickly before jogging back to her. "It says everyone is to report to the auditorium."

Eileen nodded, "Probably because of the new changes."

"At least I get to spend more time with you," he winked and gave her a large grin as they began walking towards the auditorium.

A smile split her face, but she quickly ordered it gone. Clearing her throat she reminded, "Just friends for now, Ben."

"I can like spending time with my friend, can't I? Especially when she's so smart and beautiful."

Boy he was laying it on thick. But darn it, she was enjoying every second of it.

"Behave," she hissed, but her voice said it was more of a suggestion than a command.

His eyes caught hers, "Yes, ma'am, but if I may say...I like making you blush."

Her hand rose quickly to feel her warm cheek, "Ben Jermin Cougar!"

"Eileen Fantasy Grau...Cougar."

Despite her best attempts, the next smile would not go away.

"That's more like it. I like making my woman--friend--happy."

She shook her head, "What am I going to do with you?"

His eyes twinkled, "I've got a few ideas."

The auditorium loomed in front of them, and a hint of disapproval wafted from the door. Ben must have heard or smelled something the same instant she felt the emotion, because his countenance immediately changed. He gradually walked away from her, assuming a more appropriate distance.

"Cougar," Coach Stout's voice called. "What are you doing here this early?"

"I ride with Eil--Ms. Grau."

"You ride... with Ms. Grau? Is that an arrangement with the school?"

"No," she answered. "We're neighbors."

Ben nodded, "Right. Like I told you, we grew up together."

"Seems like she must have been mostly grown before you even came along," Coach Stout said pointedly, locking eyes with her.

Eileen's heart tripped. Had he heard? Had he seen?

"Nah," Ben said, his voice holding an air of indifference; Eileen noticed, however, that his shoulders had squared. "She's not that much older than me, and we've always looked out for each other."

Coach Stout stared at him, surprise evident on his face, before his lips turned down into a frown. "You should keep to your own kind."

"Eileen is my kind. My pack," Ben said, his voice the slightest bit annoyed.

"I was raised by Louisa O'Hara," Eileen said quickly, hoping Ben was right and everyone knew about the bond between the Cougars and O'Haras.

Coach Stout's features relaxed, "Widow O'Hara, huh?"