Chapter 10

I rubbed my eyes. They were extremely swollen and they hurt. I wiped my nose with the hem of the baby blue skirt I was wearing, glancing at the package and three letters.

I sighed and picked up the package. I opened it and the contents were a small bottle of sherry from my cousin Davy and an ugly scarf my aunt Doris had made. It made me smile through the tears.

I sniffed, cracking open the letter from my father. It said a happy birthday and a few kind words. He mentioned nothing about Larry. I was a bit grateful for that.

My mothers letter was long and had some money in it, for you to choose your own gift. My parents had never been creative with my birthday gifts; we had always been given a small amount of money and good wishes for our birthdays.

Now it was time for Larry's letter. I took a long breath and closed my eyes, and then I opened it.

Dear Dash,

Today you turn 18! Damn, I can't picture you being 18. You probably have your head shaved and a tattoo on your ass. That could be excessive but hey, what are obnoxious older brothers for?

Anyways, I promised you a poem and here it is:

There once was a girl named Dash

She broke out in a terrible rash

She had gone on a stroll through the forest

Hoping to find a florist

But instead she had found poison ivy

She had brushed by the leaves, quite spiny

And now here she sits

Starting to knit

Smiling at her brother quite dryly.

My best poem yet, if you ask me. Mum's just come in with some horrible sweater from aunt Doris, so I've got to run. You'll get another poem next year, don't worry.

In all seriousness, I adore you, my dear sister. Live your life gaily and to the fullest. Don't ever let yourself become bored. Find adventure in the great wide somewhere.

Much love,

Larry

I laughed, remembering when I'd gotten terrible poison ivy. Larry had been very ill and I had stayed up late with him in his room while he read aloud Les Miserables. That was when I'd taught myself how to crotchet.

"It was crotcheting, you idiot, not knitting. I was learning to crotchet."

I laughed deeply. Either the fool had just needed a rhyme or he'd honestly not known. That was so Larry.

"In need of comp'ney?"

Through my tears and swollen eyes, I could make out a figure heading my way.

I heard a soft voice whisper, "Ye alrigh', Dash, love?"

I looked up at him through tear filled eyes. John was close enough that I could recognize him, and he gave me a gentle smile. He sat down next to me.

"Ah, jus upset with the clouds."

John chuckled. There was a bit of alarm in his amber colored eyes, and it made me laugh.

"Never seen a cryin chick before?"

He frowned. "Course I 'ave. I've got a girlfriend, you know. She cries a lot."