➵ I'm Your Puppet

The eerie aura that loomed outside Radley, didn't get any better inside

The eerie aura that loomed outside Radley, didn't get any better inside. Even though they had stepped foot there a hundred times before, this particular time was worse than others. The bare walls and barred windows offered no kind of solace. Avery was so sure she was going to have to be admitted herself, if she stayed there any longer.

The four girls followed a nurse, who knocked on a door, and opened it gently, "You have visitors!", she paused when Spencer looked away from the window, towards the girls, "Spencer? I'll be in the hall if you need me."

Spencer nodded, before sitting on her bed, while the others shuffled inside the room. Emily, Hanna and Aria sat down on the three seats facing Spencer's bed, while Avery stood on the side, wrapping her arms around herself uncomfortably. Avery looked everywhere, but Spencer, unsure of what to do in their situation, coming to the sudden realization that Spencer was in Mona's old room.

"Hey", Emily broke the silence that overpowered them, "You knew we were coming, right? We spoke with your mom."

"We wanted to be here the first day", Aria apologized, "But she said you were going to be home tomorrow, so-"

"She still believes that?", Spencer scoffed, "She thinks that I'll be able to sleep through the night if I just take a nice bubble bath and lay in my own bed?"

"I think what she wants is-"

"I know what she wants, but they don't make a loofa that scrapes out the inside of your head!"

"The park rangers found a body", Hanna blurted out, making the other three girls yell out, "Hanna!"

"What?", Hanna countered, "The sooner she knows, the sooner she checks out of this place."

"What Hanna is trying to say is we have good news", Emily cut in, "They found a body in the woods. The police believe it was a camper."

"It was Toby", Spencer refuted.

"No, Spence, it wasn't. This person, he'd been missing for awhile and he was nowhere near where you thought you saw-"

"I know what I saw. It was Toby."

Avery cleared her throat after keeping mum for the first half of the conversation, "Hey, so, um, I was thinking tomorrow night when you get home, we could all-"

"I need to stay here. I need more time", Spencer said blankly.

"Time for what?", Avery exclaimed exasperatedly, "Shuffling around in Mona's old slippers isn't going to get you any better."

"Avery, chill", Aria warned, making the brunette draw her lips into a thin line. She had to control her tongue.

"You know what", Hanna cut in, "I would not dine here, if I were you, I had to sneak around in that kitchen, and I saw a roach big enough to wear an apron."