chapter twenty-six

Everyone has their limitations. 

I had always been told that because you can't pour from an empty cup, but how do you fill the cup back up? When life constantly keeps taking and taking? In all honesty, I was beginning to see life as the thief of time. It consumed every hour, every minute, every second, and I was left with burning eyes from exhaustion. 

I watched people buzzing around me like lively bees, carrying on with their lives, and I wondered what the secret was. How did they have their life together? How did they become adults? I mean, I was obviously a legal adult, but I felt like a kid. Standing in the grocery store and I had lost my mother, so I was wandering the isles looking for her. 

I exhaled and placed my palms on the countertop before me.  

"Honey, you look like you crawled out of a coffin somewhere," Sandy came up behind me, placing another order beneath the paperweights we had beside the register. She usually rang them out because I couldn't count today. It happened when I was exhausted. "Are you sure you're okay?" 

I had assured her I was fine the moment I walked into work six hours ago, and she still didn't believe me. I really must have looked rough. "Yes," I managed to chuckle a bit, meeting her worried gaze, "Stop worrying about me, okay?" 

"Do you want to take your break?" 

"I already took one." 

"Another one?" 

I looked up when the doorbell jingled with another customer entering. I briefly glanced at Sandy, "I'll be okay, I leave in three hours anyway." 

"Drink some coffee!" She said after me as I headed to greet the newcomers. I was seriously running on autopilot, everything seemed to be muted and blurred around me. I was only focused on what was directly in front of me and that seemed hard enough. 

I took the couple's order and headed back to the kitchen. I made the mistake of glancing up at the lights and instantly a strange sensation filled my mind. It felt like I was moving, or the world had abruptly titled, but I was still standing. My vision flickered for a second and my hand shot out to brace against the wall. 

Suddenly, there were hands on my shoulders. I hadn't realized they were talking to me until I finally managed to heave a breath and I looked up. 

Sandy was frowning. "You just about passed out, didn't you?" Her hand gently touched my cheek, "Your skin is pale! I knew you weren't fine, you stubborn bitch." 

I didn't even flinch at the word, I had learned it was something Sandy said when she really cared. Weird, I know. I cleared my throat, "I just need water." 

"Gods sake, no," Sandy grasped both my shoulders and turned me towards the back room, "You're going to call one of your brothers to come pick you up." 

I balked at the idea of bothering any of my brothers. The twins were at school. Mikeal and Ezra were at work. "No, I'll just walk." 

"Like hell you will," Sandy snapped and she only let go of me when I sat down in a chair in the employee locker room, "I can call your oldest brother, he's listed as your emergency contact here." 

"It's not an emergency," I groaned, resting my head in my hands when I felt a headache forming. I wouldn't admit it but my head felt like it was swimming and it was the worst sensation I had ever felt. I was surprised I wasn't nauseous. "Give me five minutes," I muttered, "It will pass." 

One of the other girls came to check on us and I didn't even hear what Sandy said in return. I only felt her sit down next to me, "Look, I know you need the money, but you have to take care of yourself. You are obviously not doing well and you need to go home to rest."