23

His Best Kept Secret
Chapter 23

You stared at the dark coffee that was steaming in the cup in front of you. You sat at your desk, watching the liquid swirl as you zoned out. It had been three weeks since Bakugo's funeral and you still felt as numb as that very first day.

Besides you, your phone buzzed. Showing the 100th text message from Kirishima. You ignored it like the others. The Dynamight Agency was slowly becoming the Red Riot Agency as changes were to be made to keep up with the records. You didn't mind the change, in fact you thought it would be good for the public to see that a hero's death wouldn't be the end to the work you were all committed to create.

But that wasn't why you were ignoring Kirishima, and that wasn't the last wish Bakugo gave to his long time best friend and partner.

You stared at the red head in front of you with anticipation. "What do you mean?" You question him.

The wind around you picked up, as if Bakugo himself was trying to calm your nerves.

"Right before he...succumbed to his injuries. He made me promise him something," Kirishima continued, his body feeling heavy.

You didn't understand why he was dragging this out and you stepped forward and grabbed his suit jacket. "Tell me Kiri. Please," you begged.

Nodding, he reaches up and tucks your hair away from your face. "A-as you know, I haven't found an omega that peaks my interest. When Bakugo was injured by the falling building...he made me promise to be his alpha brother."

You sucked in a gasp. Stepping away from him in shock. "W-what?" You stammered, not believing your ears.

"He made me drink a drop of his blood. To complete the pack. He wanted to make sure you would be taken care of...in his last breath," Kirishima manages to say, his eyes casted downwards in shame.

You shook your head, not wanting to believe what he had just said. Becoming an Apha brother meant Kirishima would take Bakugo's place as her alpha.

"No, no, no!" You began to panic. "I don't want another alpha!" You cried turning to the tomb stone. "I wanted you, you asshole! You weren't supposed to die! You weren't supposed to leave me! How could you!? How fucking dare you do this to me!" You shrieked, crumbling into an emotional mess on the ground.

Kirishima reaches down to hold you but you shoved him away. "Don't touch me! Don't you dare touch me!"

He backed away respectfully, his frown deepening as he felt more guilty.

You winced at the memory. It wasn't uncommon for close bonded alphas to become alpha brothers. You just couldn't imagine Bakugo willingly giving Kirishima permission to have first dibs on you. It was a courtesy act, and you knew that. Your alpha wanted to make sure you would be taken care of in the last act of his death. But it hurt so damn much to think about it.

The phone beside you rang, bringing you out of your deep thought. Looking up at the flashing red light, you slowly reach up and press the button.

"Ahem, yes?" You ask, clearing your throat.

"Destiny, you have a visitor here to see you." Your secretary says through the intercom.

You take a deep sigh. You didn't feel like seeing anyone. But when you decided to return to work, despite your colleagues recommending otherwise, you knew you would have to socialize eventually.

"Who is it?" You ask her, rubbing your temples together.

"The icy-hot hero: Shoto," she responds and you pause and look towards the window of your office.