Toxic Waste: The Byproduct of Industrialization

By AmandaREO and capricornwriter

Humankind creates all sorts of messy combinations of hazardous chemicals and other unsustainable materials through manufacturing, farming, and other industrial activities. It's called toxic waste, and it's something we all contribute to making. Think of it as the stuff we throw away because we don't want or have anything to do with it, and once we throw it away it does no good for the environment. Toxic waste pollutes and doesn't decompose easily, which is why it's something we have to stop producing. Unfortunately, there are many reports of toxic waste found in oceans and the air.

Toxic waste works its way into the environment; the air, water, and soil. It increases the risks of diseases, destroys nature, and threatens species' livelihood. Toxic waste also affects us because we eat the animals that have the toxic waste inside of them. Animals that eat the animals that have been affected by toxic waste can also be poisoned, and with the food chain so broad, you can see how catastrophic that can and will be.

On April 29th, 2021 a news article was published by the USD news center saying that an expedition led by their Scripps Institution of Oceanography found the seafloor between Los Angeles and Santa Clara contained high levels of DDT, a highly hazardous toxic waste. In 2011 and 2013, 25,000 barrels of DDT were discovered on the seafloor, resting 3,000 feet below the surface. Dangerous amounts of DDT were also found in many marine animals within the area, including sea lions and dolphins. Unfortunately, exposure to DDT has been linked to cancer in sea lions, and about 25% of adult sea lions suffer from cancer. In 2015, DDT and other synthetic chemicals were found in the hypodermis of a bottlenose dolphin that had died. Diana Aga, a professor at the University of Buffalo, said that if the barrels haven't leaked a dangerous amount, they could be moved to a safer place. If they have been leaked enough to cause major damage, scientists would have to sample the water and the animals in it in order to understand the damage that has or could be done.

DDT is known to be harmful to various insects, and side effects can include harm to the nervous system. From what we can see from observing the animals affected by DDT, consumption may be harmful to the human nervous system if it's consumed in big doses. It is still unknown exactly how DDT can affect our food chain, and what the risks are for humans and marine life who may be exposed to it in their food.

According to researchers, the disposal of military, nuclear, and industrial toxic waste was common in the early 20th century. Fortunately, in 1972 DDT was banned from the United States. But it is still in use in other parts of the world.

Endocrine disruptors are pesticides, pharmaceuticals, plasticizers, cosmetics, antibiotics, cleaning agents, and more that you probably can find in your house. They disrupt the hormones, growth, development, and reproductive ability of wildlife. A study by the U.S. government showed that 90% of the water and fish that was tested had pesticides in them. Pesticides travel through air and water, and have even been found in the Arctic, affecting even more animals!

Burning coal, oil, waste containing mercury (like batteries, thermometers, and lightbulbs), and wood releases mercury into the air. Although mercury is naturally occurring, ⅔ of mercury in the ocean is human-caused. If mercury is in the air, it can come down to the ground in raindrops, dust, or by gravity. Mercury has been found in otters, eagles, and even Florida panthers that are endangered, and can cause death, disrupt reproduction, growth, development, and cause unusual behavior.

When people drill machines into the ground to get oil, fracking, they release methane and chemicals to frack into underground bodies of water. The contaminated water works its way into the water used by animals and ourselves.

Coal produces toxic waste when it's burned, releasing mercury, CO2, methane, selenium, nitrogen dioxide, and sulfur dioxide into the air, which are all toxic air pollutants. They contribute to climate change, contaminate the environment, and cause acid rain and smog. And the waste of what isn't used in coal mining releases toxic chemicals and gasses into the air, which cause similar things.

Uranium mining causes pretty much irreversible damage to ecosystems, food webs, human communities, and wildlife. The mining, milling, and disposing of uranium can all cause these problems: Contamination of water, marine ecosystems, and food webs. According to Biologicaldiversity.org, "Even minute amounts of uranium can poison fish, accumulate in the food chain, and cause deformities and reproductive problems for aquatic species."

Lead is mainly found in hunting ammunition, paint, and fishing gear. As you can see, it's often used closely to wildlife, which makes it incredibly easy for it to get in the food web. This poisons humans and animals alike, with it also getting into water sources. For example, the lead in the paint in Midway Atoll (an island in the Pacific Ocean) kills about 10,000 Laysan albatross chicks a year!

Although it might seem that big corporate companies are the ones to blame for toxic waste, you and I are just as responsible. Some examples of toxic waste that may be in your household include shampoo, soap, toothpaste, lights, batteries, anything flammable or combustible, and any other dangerous substances that may be harmful or even deadly. Luckily, there are almost always more sustainable alternatives to using and throwing away the toxic waste in your house.

When you buy cleaning products try to find ones that say "eco friendly" on the package label. When using any products with toxic chemicals, it is important to use it all and not waste it. If you cannot use it all, it's possible for you to donate it.

It's best if you don't use regular pesticides in the garden. They poison and disrupt the animals in your garden, as well as being a toxic waste. There are natural pesticides that work just as well like beer, vinegar, and even water that you can use instead. It's important to recognize that all of these natural pesticides are still chemicals, are being used to kill animals, and will probably disrupt the ecosystem. When you are using these pesticides, make sure that you 100% need them and know which pesticide and how much of it to use.

Batteries, lightbulbs, and other electronic things like that seem impossible to get rid of without harming the environment. But fortunately, there are sustainable ways to get rid of them. Places like Sports Basement have recycling bins for used batteries.

When getting rid of toxic waste, do it carefully. Don't burn any hazardous chemicals, throw them into your household trash, or pour it into the drain or on the floor. Instead, you can schedule a home pick-up or find a location to drop it off.

We have to start being responsible for the things we create because throwing them away isn't a solution. We can control the amount of toxic waste in the world, which is why everyone has to do what they can. Thank you for reading our article on toxic waste.