Chapter 15

Astrid's POV

Ah! The sound of screams always brings a smile to my face. Especially if they're coming from my lapdog of a brother-in-law Finn. Now if he could stop writhing around in his manacles, that would be great.

After I knocked said Mikaelson unconscious earlier, my other brothers-in-law left the room to talk. While they were gone, I helped myself to a large breakfast of beignets and fruit. Note to self: humans have to eat a lot. I only ate as a vampire, because I love food. Life as a human is exhausting. A few minutes later, Niklaus came back in by himself, and we began to torture his eldest brother. 

"So, brother, ready to embrace your new life of freedom?" my hybrid brother-in-law questions, holding up the key to Finn's shackles. I menacingly grin up at the witch, crossing my arms against my chest.

"I'm already free, brother." Finn gasps out, trying to catch his breath. In his defense, I did just torture him with magic for an hour. He deserved every second of it, after what he and his mother put me through for months. 

"You are aware that your mother doesn't give a shit about you, right?" I taunt the witch, before Niklaus can get a word in. "She couldn't care less if I snapped your neck and killed you."

"Astrid, I assure you. My mother loves me. She loves all her children. You would not exist without her sacrifice." Finn states, smirking at my anger. Before I can take a step forward, a familiar voice sounds through the courtyard, causing me to freeze. Oh no. 

"Kailie Nicole Gilbert!" Caroline exclaims, rushing over to join the three of us. "You have a lot of explaining to do!"

Before I can say another word, my best friend grabs my arm and speeds me upstairs. Caroline drags me into a room and locks the door behind her. After my exit is officially blocked, she turns around and faces me with a sinister look. Welp. I've lived a good life.

"Care, I can explain if you just le-" I start to say, before being cut off by a screaming Caroline. I've done it now. 

"Explain? You've been back weeks, and now you want to explain?" she questions, stalking closer to me. "We mourned you, Kai. Do you know how that feels?'

I flinch at her words, thinking about losing Gloria. It's been long enough that I shouldn't be grieving anymore, but I can't help it. My best friend continues reprimanding me, as I stare on in silence. After a while, she stops talking and glances over at me. Seeing the sadness on my face, her glare softens into a sympathetic expression.

"I can't even stay mad at you." Caroline mumbles, before walking over and wrapping her arms around me. 

Well that could've been a lot worse. I hug her back, pulling away after a couple minutes. My best friend sends me a grin, gripping both of my hands in hers.

"Tell me everything."

~~~

I can't believe that I'm about to say this, but I have missed Caroline. She's the only true friend I have left from Mystic Falls. Bonnie abandoned me to help 'poor Elena', and Tyler is nowhere to be seen. Can't say that I blame him after what Caroline told me. The next time I see that jackass, I will attack him. No one gets away with hurting my best friend. Not even Tyler.

Caroline and I are in the middle of talking about the Scooby Gang, when we hear a loud crash come from downstairs. Sharing a look of concern, the two of us stand up and begin making our way down to investigate. Caroline speeds us to the courtyard, discovering Davina and Jeremy standing above Niklaus. Oh for the love of god!

"What in the hell are you two doing?" I exclaim, causing the couple to jump in surprise. The two witches turn to look at me and Caroline, before a look of fear passes over Jeremy's face. 

"We're trying to rescue you!" my brother exclaims, glancing down at my freed wrists. "But it looks like you didn't need our help."

Instead of responding to him, I glance down at my incapacitated brother-in-law. Those two really did a number on him. Caroline leans down to him and checks to make sure he's still alive. After finding his pulse, she lets out a heavy sigh and glares up at the witches.

"What exactly did you two do to him?" my best friend grits out, almost growling at the pair. I grab ahold of Caroline's forearm and tug it back towards me, before she can attack them. 

"I channeled dark objects through my blood to poison him." Davina explains, as Jeremy pulls her slightly behind him. "How did you get free?"

"My anger management issues." I state, holding up my bruised wrists. "Better question is, if he's not dead, then what are you gonna do when he recovers?"

"We have an hour, maybe less. Enough time to chain him, bleed him, and dump him in the river." the young witch details, causing Caroline to growl at her. Stepping in front of my friend, I hold her back and attempt to calm her down. 

"Relax, Care." I whisper to the blonde vampire. "I won't let them hurt him."

After Caroline relaxes slightly, I turn back around to face the two witches. Davina glares daggers into the two of us, while my brother is trying to push her back. 

"Since when do you care what happens to Klaus?" she questions, screaming at the top of her lungs. Way to wake the neighborhood, Davina.

All of a sudden, a gasp sounds from behind me, and I turn to see my brother-in-law's friend jump up. The two witches must have knocked him out when they stormed in. 

"Kailie is with us now." he explains, gripping onto my shoulder. I shrug him off, as he continues. "We're going to be going up against Esther, assuming Klaus is upright."

Glancing over at the pair, I spot betrayed expressions on both of their faces. Whether they like it or not, the Mikaelsons are my family too. Letting out a heavy sigh, I send them a soft smile.

"Look, Nik is a pain in the ass, but well...she's a problem for us all." I plead with the two, trying to convince them to join us. "She kidnapped Kol last night."

Jeremy and Davina both turned a shade of white from shock. However, before either of the two could comment, a familiar voice sounds throughout the courtyard.

"What the fuck is all of this?" 

All five of us turn towards the entrance to see Valerie with Finn's crush leaning onto her. The older witch helps Cami sit down, before turning to us with a glare. Davina begins spouts off information to her but is quickly stopped by a wave of Valerie's hand. I forgot how scary she can be.

"You know what? I'll deal with this later." she states, letting out a heavy sigh. "We have more important stuff to do. Cami, show them."

Shrugging off her jacket, the blonde human shifts her body to face the wall. As she turns away, I spot puncture wounds covering her entire back. Oh for fucks sake, Esther!

 Oh for fucks sake, Esther!