Chapter Three

Josephine

The sound of his voice, dark, chilled, controlled and seemingly emanating from the gloom behind her, unnerved Josephine to such a degree that she very nearly dropped her reticule.

She whirled around with a tiny, stifled gasp. For a few disturbing seconds she could not make him out clearly, but she knew instantly that whoever he was, he could well prove dangerous. An oddly exhilarating thrill of anticipation swept through her.

Hastily, she tried to shake off the sensation. She had never reacted like this to any man. It was no doubt a trick of the poor light. The fog had closed in very snugly around the windows, and the two small lamps on the desks of Mrs. Goodhew and Mrs. Willis created more shadows than they dispelled.

Then she realized that she was still wearing the spectacles she had borrowed from Mrs. Egan to enhance her appearance as a proper companion for today's interviews. She reached up very quickly, plucked the eyeglasses from her nose and blinked a couple of times to refocus her vision.

She could see the man in the shadows quite clearly now, but that did not do much to alter her initial impression. If anything it onty heightened her feelings of wariness and excitement.

"Dear me," Mrs. Willis said quickly. "I had quite forgotten you were standing there, sir. I beg your pardon. Allow me to introduce Miss Josephine Langford. Miss Langford, Hero Fiennes Tiffin, the Earl of St. Merryn."

Hero inclined his head ever so slightly. "A pleasure, Miss Langford."

No one would ever label him handsome, Josephine thought. The power, control and harsh intelligence that stamped his features left no room for elegance, refinement or traditional masculine beauty.

His hair was a deep shade of brown. Unfathomable smoky green eyes watched her from some concealed lair deep inside. He had the bold nose, high cheekbones and distinctive jaw that one associated with creatures that survived on their hunting skills.

She realized with a start that she was allowing her imagination to get the better of her. It had been a very long day.

She pulled herself together and made her curtsy. "My lord."

"It would seem that we might be of service to each other, Miss Langford," he said. His gaze never wavered from her face. "You are in need of a position. I have a distant relative, the widow of a cousin on my father's side, who is staying with me for the Season. I require a companion for her. I am prepared to pay you triple your usual fees."

Triple her usual fees. She was suddenly a little breathless. Steady now, she thought. Whatever else she did, she must maintain an air of dignified calm. She had a feeling that if St. Merryn detected any indication that she suffered from delicate or easily excitable nerves, he would withdraw his offer.

Raising her chin, she gave him what she hoped was a coolly polite smile. "I am prepared to discuss the position, sir."

She heard Mrs. Goodhew and Mrs. Willis murmur between themselves, but she paid no attention. She was too busy watching the satisfaction that glittered briefly in the earl's enigmatic eyes.

"There is a bit more to the post than the duties that are generally expected of a paid companion," Hero said very deliberately.

She recalled the old adage about things sounding too good to be true and steeled herself.

"For some reason, I am not surprised to hear that," she said dryly. "Perhaps you would be so good as to explain?"

"Of course." Hero switched his attention to Mrs. Goodhew and Mrs. Willis. "I would prefer to have this conversation in private with Miss Langford, if you two ladies do not mind." He paused a beat and smiled faintly. "The situation involves a family matter. I'm sure you comprehend."