16. I am sorry

Grandma and grandpa Gibson gifted me a sparkling red ball gown. It had a tight corset that perfectly fitted my slender waist.

"You look lovely" Dorris commented while doing my hair and makeup.

"Thanks, it wouldn't have been possible without you" I told her.

As you know, makeup isn't under my expertise. Usually, it was Dan who helped me with my makeup.

"What was the other box?" She asked me.

I hadn't yet opened it. I was so caught up with the dress that I forgot to open the gift that my boyfriend gave me.

"Let's open it" I said to Dorris. Inside the box was a pair on sparkling red Cinderella shoes, matching with my ball gown.

"They are gorgeous" Dorris exclaimed as soon as she saw them. I put them on. They fit perfectly. Karma chose the right size.

Now all I was hoping for was to see him. It had been almost three days that I hadn't heard his voice.

I spotted a paper, delicately folded into half inside the box. I was about to pick it up when Jin ran to me and started barking.

"What's up with you little guy?" I closed the box and picked Jin up in my arms. He leaped out from my hold and started to pull my dress.

"Don't you spoil my dress, mister" I warned him but he didn't stop.

"Maybe he wants to take you somewhere" Dorris suggested.

I nodded and followed after Jin. He ran to the backyard and barked out loud. I scanned the surrounding but didn't find anything suspicious.

"There's nobody here, Jin, let's go inside. I don't want to keep Karma waiting" I told him and picked him up in my arms.

The ball began at 7:00pm. My eyes searched that familiar face in the entire ballroom but couldn't find a single trace of him.

Grandma and grandpa Gibson walk towards me as soon as they saw me. "You look beautiful" they complimented me.

"Where's Karma?" I asked them. I couldn't take this any longer. I needed to see him, right now.

"He'll be here soon sweetheart" they tell me and mingle up with the other guests.

The dance began. Uncle Arthur, one of the guests was my first dance partner. He was a wise and observant person.

He whirled and twirling me around smoothly despite his old age. I enjoyed dancing with him but soon the thought of my boyfriend distracted me.

"Looking for your beloved?" He asked me. I give him a sad smile and continued to dance.

It was about ten pm but there was still no sign of Karma. I was very unhappy. I didn't wait for the last dance as I was finally out of patience.

I left the ballroom and walked to my room disappointed. Why would he send me such a beautiful gift and not come for the ball? Did I really mean him nothing?

I dial Karma's number but it was still turned off. Tears started pooling my eyes once again. I start to remove my dress and shoes placing them carefully in their respective boxes.

Soon my gaze fell on the letter inside the gift that Karma gave me. I quickly opened it and started reading.

Abigail,
I'm sorry. Let's break up.
-Karma

I couldn't believe what was written inside the note. He said he wanted to break up. My emotions that I had been holding onto for a long time, now broke down.

I cried and cried. Jin came by my side and sat next to me. "He doesn't want me anymore" I hugged Jin and cried louder.

I picked up my phone and started dialing Karma's number. I wanted to ask him the meaning of the note he left me. All the words, all the promises he made, I needed an answer from him.

Have you ever been so sad that you feel it up to your bones? Yes, I could feel my sadness all over my being.

Is this what I meant to him? Just a sorry and break up note? I started questioning myself. Hugging his note I cried myself to sleep.

Next morning I woke up with a terrible headache. Dorris came to see me since I left the ballroom early.

"Do you know if I can find any suitable transport to reach New York as soon as possible?" I asked her.

"I have no idea, maybe you should ask Jenny?" She suggested.

I didn't want to cause a scene before the guests by explaining why I was leaving without my boyfriend. I didn't want to make a fool out of myself.

"No, I don't want to trouble them" I told her.

"Maybe you can go with uncle Arthur, I heard he'll be leaving around seven."

I glanced at my watch. It was quarter to seven. I started packing my luggage along with Jin's. Jenny helped me contact uncle Arthur and he happily agreed to give me a lift till home.

I left the Gibson's manor with uncle Arthur, leaving the ball gown and the shoes in the room I was staying in. It reminded me of the breakup note whenever I saw it.

Dorris agreed to convey my regards to grandma and grandpa Gibson and tell them that I needed to go back for some urgent work.

I left the place and hoped that I never see it again.