Chapter 14: A New World

This chapter is in THIRD PERSON:

        "So you just found her in the cove?" Fishlegs asked, his voice echoing thoughout the Great Hall. His meaty legs barely fit under the table where the gang were sitting. Snotlout sat next to Fishlegs, staring dreamy-eyed at Emma. She wasn't paying attention, however. She was fascinated by everything she saw. She picked up Hiccup's empty cup and studied it with child-like wonder. Hiccup, who sat sandwitched between Emma and Astrid, gave Emma an amused smile. The blonde sat tense with arms crossed, unwilling to trust Emma just yet...

        The fire in the fire place behind them crackled as waves of heat softly warmed Emma's face. Hiccup didn't really know how to answer. He and Emma had decided that telling them about her being the Darkstalker a fairly bad idea. Hiccup opened his mouth to answer Fishlegs, but was cut off by Tuffnut. "I bet it hurt really bad when she fell all that way!" He said, a crazed smile across his face.

        "Like this?" Ruffnut asked, shoving Tuff off of his seat and he fell on his smooshed face.

        "OW! Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about..." He crooned dizzily. Emma took Hiccup's pen off of his armour and examined it with bewilderment. Then she glanced at his notebook and the unfamiliar letters.

        "H-Hiccup... could you... teach me to read...?" Emma asked, slightly embarassed. Hiccup beamed at her.

        "Of course I can!" He said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

        Astrid wasn't listening. Her thoughts wandered. Who was this girl? Why had she turned up from nowhere? Where was she from? Why was she so unfamiliar with everything? Her suspisions grew the more she thought about it. Something wasn't right... She'd looked at Emma over and over again, but she couldn't put her finger on it. She noted her long, dark hair that was only a couple of inches above her waist. Her nearly ivory colored face made her rosy cheaks stand out as well as her pink lips and tan freckles that arched over her nose. She looked normal--and maybe even a little prettier than the average girl. A little too pretty. Why was she so beautiful? Why was Astrid thinking about this?!?

        Astrid mentally scolded herself for being jealous of the girl's looks. She cleared her throat and tapped Hiccup on the shoulder. "Hey, Babe, can I talk to you?" She grabbed Hiccup's hand and laced her fingers, leading him to the far corner of the room. She brushed her platinum colored bangs out of her bright, blue eyes.

        "Hiccup, are you sure we can trust her? I mean, don't you think that it's weird that she just turned up out of the blue and no one knows who she is?" she whispered loudly. "And, I don't think I need to remind you of Heather!"

        "Pffffttt! Everything ended up fine with Heather!" Hiccup's voice cracked, he being bad at lying. He hating not telling Astrid about Emma. But if he did, he would lose Emma's trust and Astrid's too. Astrid glared at him.

        "Oh, yeah! You only almost died a few times!" She cried, waving her hands in the air. Everyone at the table turned their heads toward them. Hiccup grabbed Astrid's flailing hands and put them by her waist.

        "Astrid, everything is going to be fine. I promise." He gave her a kiss to prove it. He walked back to the table, Astrid trailing behind.

SWITCHING TO HICCUP'S POV:

        "What does this say?" Emma asked Fishlegs, handing him my notebook. Fishlegs' eyes flew across the page, before looking up, his eyes filling with excitement.

        "Oh, he wrote it down after Gobber told us that cool ghost story a couple of nights ago." I cleared my throat and watched awkwardly as Emma shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "It's this legend: it's called 'The Legend of the Darkstalker'! Creepy, right??" Emma nodded stiffly. This was not good... Fishlegs will probably offend her if he says too much. I sat tense, trying to think of a way to make him stop talking. Oh, the impossible task. Fishlegs NEVER stops talking...