the ukulele [🇮🇩]

[edited: july 1 ;; updated dec 2022]

"Alright, thank you for your help, Singapore. I'm glad you spoke out in the first place," he smiled, as he stood up from his desk chair.

"Of course! Tell me if you need anything else," the city-state said, approaching the door. "I will be there to help."

ASEAN nodded. "See you later Singapore."

"Cya, sir!" he smiled, as he leaves the apartment room.

ASEAN sighed, and locked the door to his own apartment. He then found himself at his light blue couch, pulling out his tablet, scanning for probably important details missed during the meeting. After responding to some emails, he places his tablet down.

What now?

He looked around the place for a little bit, in his point of view. He looked at his clock at the wall. It was 3pm. He was already done with his workload together with Singapore just a few minutes back. That means he had nothing else to do now, nothing that catched his interests anyway.

He could read a book? It was his hobby after all, as he would usually read history books. He stood up and looked through his black mini bookshelf. Nothing caught his interest as of that moment, some books were already read and some didn't seem eye-catching to him.

He didn't want to scan the internet today, does he? All of the time he accessed the internet, he would be greeted with chaos. Maybe just another time.

He thought that he can just cook something? Wait... He doesn't have a stove. Plus the last time he attempted to cook anyway, the kitchen was burnt down because of a silly democratic country.

After looking around for things he could've done, the organization eventually made his way to a black, wooden cabinet. Maybe he could just look in here to catch something to do.

He opens it and noticed one instrument right off the back that catched his eyes.

The ukulele.

That specific ukelele was actually a gift given by MaPhilIndo themselves. It's obviously noticable that it's from them, because of the classic Philippine sun and Malaysian moon imprinted on it, as well as the white/red color scheme.

It was given during his 30th birthday, well not really. The 30th birthday of the "Association of Southeast Asia" or ASA anyways, meaning that it was given during his 24th birthday. Yes the association existed beforehand, but nothing made out of it when it was formed except for territorial disputes. So, it had been a while since it was in that cabinet.

He picks up the instrument and dusted it off a little bit before sitting once again on his couch. He played each string, and adjusting it when it was needed.

When was the last time he touched this anyway? It's been like... 25 years since he touched it. It's a good thing to remember again.

He started to play a mini melody with 5 notes, just for him to remember how the instrument works. Eventually, the memories of him playing that instrument had gotten back to him.

He goes back to the time when it was a really sunny day, and he was in a flower garden, under a tree, and playing a specific melody while the rest of the organization either studies, play or chilled around him. He really wished that he didn't forget playing this instrument again.

He regretted not playing this instrument for the past 25 years.

It's such a small instrument... Yet so relaxing and memorable. He's glad he picked it back up from his cabinet.

He sighed happily, as he started playing a song he could remember. A song that the entire organization only knows, which hasn't been played in so long. Muttering the lyrics in English, the cords started ringing to his ears calmly.

The sunlight rays through the window were actually making the place more calmer, with the white curtains fluttering peacefully.

ASEAN leaned on the couch. He never felt so relaxed by just playing an instrument he haven't touched.

Maybe he should consider it as a returning hobby for him.

He can't believe he had forgotten about this instrument, it was disappointing. Sure, it's had almost been 60 years, he can forget things. But out off all things... Why this?

He stopped playing the cords at the thought of it. He stared at the window, which the sunlight was emitting on.

Why did he forget all of this? Was it his fault that he did? He was busy almost all of the time now, especially when the ASEAN regional forum existed, he just can't loose it.

He sighed, and placed the ukulele down on the sofa. After though, a couple of knocks can be heard from his door. He heard it and stood up.

"Hang on a minute!" he shouted, adjusting his glasses and walking through the hallway to the door.

He turned the knob and opened the door. Oh great, it was Indonesia.

Indonesia lives near to that apartment he stays anyways, so no surprise that he is on his doorstep. However there was one thing, he rarely comes in his place alone. It was always with someone else, especially with Philippines, Vietnam and Malaysia.

ASEAN waved. "Hello! What brings you here today, Indo?"

"Hey, I just wanted to see what's the noise from my place was all about," Indonesia smiled.

"Oh my God- I was that loud?!" His eyes widen. "I'm so sorry, Indo. A- I didn't mean to disturb you."

"No, it's alright," Indo responded, leaning on the door frame. "I liked the music, it sounded familiar. Decided to check what's happening over here."

ASEAN sighed. "Well... Yeah... I kind of- I did keep the ukulele you, Phil and Malay gave- erm- actually."

"[Wait, it's still with you?! Can you show me?!]" he became excited in response with his eyes lighting up.

"Come in."

Both of them walked in the apartment, sitting in the same couch ASEAN was just on a few minutes ago. ASEAN brings out the ukelele once more and showed the country.

"Wait woah, it's really still with you then," the bi-colored country stated.

"Yeah, it was in my cabinet. 'Twas a little dusty though and the cords were messed up due to me abandoning it," he shrugged. "Glad I came across it again."

The country started at him once more then suggested, "You should try making it a hobby once more, it's been a long time, pa."

"I know! I have been considering it myself," he stated, as he looked onto the carpet. "I kind of don't know if I have the time to practice it more, due to the current situations lately."

"Ya, saya perhatikan," [Yeah, I noticed.] Indonesia said. "But if it's something about passion then you should really do it again. I don't think you'll last long on Earth anyways."

He chuckled. "Everyone technically doesn't. But sure, I guess I'll think of it, for now."

"Heh, sure," Indo smiled. "Can I borrow it for a little bit?"

"Sure, don't you dare break it though," he childishly gave off an angry tone.

"I won't! Give it to meee," He whined, and reached out his arms. The organization then placed the instrument onto the country's hands.

Indonesia looked at it for a little, examined every single side and checking for scratches. There were a few, but he plainly didn't mind, as long as it still existed.

He started strumming the four cords slowly, checking if it still works flawlessly. It did. Indonesia commented, "This still works fine!"

"Yeah it does," ASEAN replied. "If you want then you can play something if you'd like."

"Hmm, nah," he objected, as he gave back the instrument. "Trust me. I don't remember how to play now, plus I gave it to you."

"Fine," he muttered, grabbing the ukulele once more.

He looked at it again once more and began positioning his arms. He started playing another melody from what he had on memory.