iiii. you're my forever (and always)

SALUTATIONS, it's me again, the author. Oh, I forgot, I'll pick back where we left off. Let me just say...Anne and Gil certainly did not get their tragical or unrequited romance, but they found something even better, their happily ever after. Sure, it wasn't perfect. Their lives had been much changed in the past three decades. They'd had five more children since we last saw them: Walter, little Anne (Nan for short), Diana (named after her mother's bosom friend and Di for short), Shirley, and the youngest, Rilla, a nickname for Bertha Marilla.

When the hard times of World War I rolled around, Walter, Jem, and Shirley joined the effort. Jem joined because he wanted his adventure in the great wide somewhere, Walter joined because he had to, and Shirley wanted to help. The twins, Nan and Di, signed on for Red Cross training. After the war, the Blythe clan had to do with the loss of Walt, which was extremely painful but precedented.

Eventually, all of the children wed. Rilla was unlike her siblings, more like Uncle Cole and Great-Aunt Jo. Everyone supported her, and Cole was so happy that he cried actual tears of joy.

After Matthew and Marilla's passing, Bash, Delly, Mrs. Stacy, the twins, their husbands, and Rachel took over the Cuthbert farm after Thomas had passed. Jerry came over every few months to check up on things and chat with the neighbors. He and Diana were good friends now, as they'd written to each other and made up for the past mistakes. Jerry and Fred got along quite splendidly if I do say so myself. Instead of being jealous or angry at each other, they spent most nights toasting their friendship and the bounty of life together.

Sadly, Ruby and Jo had both departed from a tuberculosis infection the previous summer. It was heartbreaking for everyone, especially the Avonlea Story Club members. When the time for grieving was over, much like the other deaths they'd faced before, the world moved on, though it was difficult to remain the same and return to their usual routines. The following winter, Gilbert caught scarlet fever and was bedridden for two months, but Anne and his family were next to him every second, waiting for him to get better. Fortunately, he got better that Easter, much to the happiness of his relatives. 

That breezy autumn evening, 45-year-old Anne sat on the porch, smiling as she looked at her grandchildren playing and taking in the serene calm. Even in her older days, she was still as elegant as ever. Her hair was a dimmed auburn, with a few streaks of silver, a few laugh lines that only served to make her look more appealing, and her gray eyes were still bright with love and laughter.

Gilbert went to join his wife, pressing a kiss to her forehead. He beamed at the sight of their grandkids, his hazel eyes crinkling.

Anne turned to place her hand on top of his, and when she looked into his eyes, she realized something. It was true what the fortune teller had said all those years ago, his eyes were full of romance when he looked at her. Gilbert hoped that she knew they were only for her.

The world was changing rapidly, and there were times when it seemed like the ground they were standing on wasn't stable. However, the one thing that Anne and Gilbert knew and could count on that would be stable, was that they'd always have each other and their family. The Great Depression and World War II would come soon, more loved ones would pass, and more tragedy would come. But right now, they wouldn't dwell in the past, they wouldn't worry about the future, they'd just fully focus on living in the present. They belonged to each other; and, no matter what life might hold for them, it could never alter that. Their happiness was in each other's keeping. When they made those vows all those years ago, their love was destined to be forever and always.

—————

And that concludes If Only, ladies and gentlemen, humans and non-humans, extraterrestrials and supernaturals! *takes an awkward bow* I hope it wasn't too terrible, but that's up for you to decide.

Keep reading. Keep writing. Keep dreaming.

-V

P.S. I really just want to add eight more seconds of words to make this book completely an hour, so here you go. Beef strudel is a thing?! Or is it not? I'm typing this with my eyes closed. Josh Bryant from the Princess Diaries is a douche. Why are dishes so loud? how much money does one expect to make in a year, not including revenue? Perhaps it's just me, but sometimes I feel like cliche plots are fun. Huh, who knows. Well, I hope you ungrateful colonials enjoyed these bonus eight seconds!!

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐒 𝐀𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 | anne & gilbert 🎉