•C h a p t e r T w e n t y - S e v e n•

Sniffling, I swiped the back of my hand over my eyes to dry the tears. I leaned back in the passenger seat, glancing over at Liam to see him holding out a tissue. He'd kept the light in his car turned on, which I was thankful for.

I didn't want to stay in the dark. I still shuddered from the thought of the men's voices. They still made me feel small, sending shivers up my spine.

My lips curled up as I took it in my hand, crinkling it in my fist, "Thanks."

"Why didn't you just ask me for a ride?" he asked quietly, his eyes never leaving me.

"Because, I didn't think I needed one," I looked up at him, the frown had returned to my face. Liam let out a sigh, running his hand over his face and I swallowed hard. "What? It's not a big deal, I'm fine."

"The bruise on your face says otherwise. Don't downplay this," he immediately said through clenched teeth.

I stayed quiet, tearing my eyes away from Liam as I studied my stiff hands on my lap. The beginnings of a bruise was beginning to form on my knuckle from the punch I threw.

I should have thrown more punches. I should have been able to handle those men myself.

"I think this was set up," Liam's voice brought me back to reality. I snapped my head into his direction, as he let out another sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"What do you mean?" I asked, my brows furrowing.

"Where were those guys when they started following you?" he ignored my question, his jaw hardening as he rested his arm on the steering wheel.

"Just outside the parking lot," I answered, even though with my confusion, it sounded more like a question. "Why are you asking me that?"

"I saw your motorcycle when I came out of the library," he started, his forehead creased in concentration. "I thought it was weird, especially with the nail next to it. If you rolled over that while driving, it most likely would've stayed stuck in your tire."

My mouth hung open when I realized the accuracy of Liam's statement, and then I frowned, annoyed that I hadn't thought of that myself.

"So you're saying that..." I trailed off, not wanting to finish the sentence myself.

"Those men probably knew the bike was yours and targeted you," he finished for me, his brows lowered. "I knew it seemed off, that's why I went to find you. I needed to know that you were okay and I'm glad I did."

I was glad he did too, but the only thing I could get out of my mouth was, "Fuck."

"You'll be safe. I doubt they'll hurt you again, especially after what happened," Liam reassured me, a small smile spreading over his lips. "Men like that don't want a challenge."

My eyes moved from his face to his hand that rested on the armrest. Like mine, his knuckles were purple and blue with dried blood between his fingers.

"You should let the police know and get them arrested. You saw their faces," Liam told me, a solemn expression on his face.

I shook my head immediately, "No. My parents wouldn't want that."

Anything that drew negative attention to my family was frowned upon from both my mom and dad. That included the police. The last thing I needed was a lecture from them.

"Ophelia, this is serious. You can't just—" Liam insisted, but I cut him off.

"Liam, no. I won't go to the police, please... just drop it," I said, firmly.