Deleted Scenes | Alternate Ending

In the first version of Opposite Force, Peyton and Mikaela broke up. The story ended with Peyton regaining his memories. I like the ending that was published much more, and I think it's more realistic for their characters, but I wanted to share this one too, as it shows some story highlights from Peyton's perspective. 

Happy reading!

* * *

I remember. I don't know how or why it's happening now, but I do. I really do remember.

No matter how hard I try, I can't keep the wind from blowing my damp hair back across my forehead. It's such a gross sensation. Plus, a ton of people are staring at me right now. I should have grabbed the towel from my gym bag.

Oh well. Nothing I can do about that now.

She's walking towards me. Walking quickly. That's a good sign, right? She wouldn't rush here if she were going to say no, unless she wants to put me out of my misery.

Nah, she's into me. She's always blushing when I'm around, and I don't think she's the type to kiss someone if she isn't interested.

The breeze that's making me look like a hair-tossing idiot has the opposite effect on her. It pushes her long hair in every direction. She looks like a windswept model. Those cute pink lips are curved into a huge smile, her cheeks are bright red, probably from the cool air and my whole over-the-top gesture.

Wow. She isn't just cute. She's beautiful. She has the brightest, bluest eyes I've ever seen. When she smiles, they light up her entire face. Even all bundled up in a scarf and a million layers, it's obvious how gorgeous she is.

She's almost here. Should I walk out and meet her? Probably not. I don't want to presume that she'll say yes or wants a hug or kiss or anything.

Nah, I'll stay put. A couple more seconds.

Okay, she looks happy. I feel like I'm safe to go in for a hug. Her arms part, and she dives at me, wrapping her arms around my neck. Probably a yes, right? Yeah, got to be a yes.

Hell yeah.

I lift her into the air, grinning like a fool as she giggles into my ear. "What do you say?" I ask. Gotta be sure before I kiss her.

"Yes!"

That's a relief. I kind of want to stay like this, but I don't know how much she's enjoying me lifting her up. I set her back down on the ground, and she looks up at me with those big blue eyes, and I just have to. I pull her into a kiss. She kisses me back. I feel my heart pounding. I should probably let go, even though I could do this for hours.

Her eyes are all dazed. Maybe she could kiss me for hours too. I'm not letting this night end early, not unless she wants it to.

"Can I take my girlfriend out?" I ask.

Her smile is huge. I guess she likes to hear 'girlfriend' as much as I like to say it. Still looking dazed, she nods a ton.

Double hell yeah.

She takes my hand, and we grab my stuff before walking off the field. My teammates yell and catcall at us, and her cheeks turn redder, but I don't think she cares that much. I definitely don't. I've got a date with my girlfriend, Mikaela Martin, the smartest, prettiest girl in the world.

The memories are coming in waves. 

The song playing from the school's shitty speakers is familiar. It takes a minute for me to remember. When I do, I pull Mikaela close. This is Mom and Dad's song. Every year, on April fifteenth, they danced to this in our living room. They loved each other a lot.