Chapter 19

When Ryleigh awoke and turned to her side, there was a stone-faced woman sitting on a chair beside the fire. She blinked, but the woman was still there. Ryleigh guessed she was a warrior, judging from her muscled physique, disciplined look, and the scars littering her limbs at random.

"Ah, you're awake," she said. "Took you long enough." She reached for a sheet of paper beside her. "Austin left some instructions, because apparently you come with a manual." She unfolded it and glanced it over. "I'm to inquire after your health. Ridge is busy with house calls, but he told me to link him should you feel unwell."

"I'm fine. Who are you?"

She ignored the question, flipping her braided hair over her shoulder and peering at the list in her hands. "I'm also to make sure you drink enough. There's water on your nightstand." She stared Ryleigh down until the latter sat up, spotting a jug filled with water on the nightstand and pouring a glass.

"Are you going to introduce yourself?"

"That's not on the list. Thirdly, food. I'm to ask if you want something to eat." She squinted at the list. "Actually, scratch that. I'm not to ask, I'm to ensure."

"I'm not hungry."

"If you don't eat, it'll reflect poorly on me. I already linked the kitchen to bring you something."

"But I'm not hungry."

"Yes, and I'm not a babysitter. Guess we both just have to deal with it. Next –"

"No, no. Forget the list," Ryleigh said, waving her hand in between sips of water. "Who are you?"

"Sky. Now..."

"O, you're Ridge's daughter! The one I hurt."

"You only hurt me because I was trying not to kill you."

Ryleigh pulled her lips into a pout, nodding slowly. "Sure."

"I'm serious."

"O, yes, I've noticed. You're more serious than my condition. I'll have you know I could take you on a good day."

Sky's eyebrows inched up. "When's the last time you had a good day?"

"Been a while. But if I'd met you two months ago, I would've been a worthy opponent."

"I believe that. Now, Austin mentioned some kind of new arrangement. You are not to be left alone."

"Yes, but he mentioned having two guards follow me, not one woman."

"Are you insinuating I am less capable of guarding you than men?"

A slow smile spread over Ryleigh's face. "I wouldn't dare."

"Good. You do have two guards, they're in front of your door. Austin didn't want them in the room with you while you slept, so here I am. Because apparently I have nothing better to do than sit here and watching a stranger sleep."

There was a knock on the door, followed by a servant entering with a tray of food.

"Put it on the nightstand," Sky said.

"Actually, put it on the desk, please," Ryleigh said.

The servant halted, brow furrowed, glancing from Sky to Ryleigh and back.

"The nightstand," Sky said.

"The desk."

"For the love of the Goddess, do not test me." Sky shot a glare to Ryleigh, then glimpsed at the servant again. "Put it on the nightstand, no matter what she says."