Chapter 8

Date Published: Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Word Count: 811

Thalia's POV:

We sat in the dirty alley for hours, wallowing in self pity when they first arrived. The silver parkas. The bows and arrows. The man hating girls. We were being hunted.

Nico pulled us into the shadows, cloaking us in darkness as Phoebe and Artemis stalked down the street. Something silver glinted on Phoebe's head. It was a circlet, the lieutenant's circlet. They had replaced her, in less than twenty four hours. She gripped Jason's hand as he glared, though it was unclear who was conforming who.

Artemis scowled. " I swore I smelt them here "

Phoebe wrinkled her nose in distaste, " Thalia would have to be pretty stupid to lead them to a place so close to our camp "

" She never was the sharpest arrow in the quiver " They laughed; A sharp, bitter sound. The pair exited the alleyway, throwing jeers and insults at the ex-daughter of Zeus.

Thalia furiously swiped her eyes, ignoring the pitying looks sent at her. She hated pity. " We've got to keep moving "

She started walking when a hand was placed on her shoulder. " Thals, Are you sure you're okay? "

She was about to respond when a green eyed demigod beat her to it. " Of course she's not okay. None of this is!" Angelica growled as she punched the brick, red seeping from her knuckles. Her voice turned low, dangerous. " That's the problem with family. All they do is hurt you. "

Everyone turned to her in surprise. Since the betrayal, Angel had become a shell of her former self, similar to how she had been when she first arrived at camp. Angry. Suspicious. Guarded. This was the first time she had spoken.

She collapsed onto an empty onion crate and sighed. " When I was five, my brother and I ran away from home. My mom was insane, a hysterical alcoholic and couldn't take care of two kids; so we took out chances on the streets."

Jason and I glanced at each other. We knew how that felt.

" We were okay at first- I don't remember much, but after a while I guess he got tired. We were both demigods, powerful ones at that and we attracted a lot of monsters. Combined with the fact that he was just a twelve year old boy that hadn't had formal training, it's a wonder we survived as long as we did. I guess I was too much of a burden or he simply didn't want me or- "

" I'm going to stop you there" Nico sat down beside her " My sister took care of me her entire life and when she joined the hunters, I was angry- At her and everyone who had taken her away from me. But really, I was mad at myself, that I wasn't enough for her to stay. After she died, I realized that this " He motioned to their surroundings " Is too much for anyone to properly handle "

They shared a smile.

" Then I went to go live with Mags and her adopted son Finnick." A tear slipped down her cheek " Mags was a legacy of Apollo and Finnick was a legacy of Poseidon.  They taught me everything that I know about my powers, combat." She motioned to her yin and yang necklace- the one that transformed into her dual wielding swords- turning it over so we could see the inscription on the back; to my sweet Ange. She bowed her head " They were the best people I ever knew "

Percy sat down beside her, wrapping an arm around his sister as she started to cry " What happened to them "

" Murdered " Angelica spat " By a gang named the Capitol."

" After that, the system didn't really know what to do with me. I bounced from home to home, they either didn't want me or I ran away. And now I'm here. In a dirty alley, with my new cousins, the only people that have made me feel safe since Mags and Finnick." She assessed our surroundings again " Which is very ironic."

" Wow " Percy breathed. He wrapped Angelica in a hug. " I'm sorry you had to go through that "

She melted into the embrace. " I'm sorry I gave you such a hard time in the beginning. I've had two brothers in my life- one was great, one not so much but both aren't here anymore. I guess I was just scared to let another one in "

The hug turned into a group embrace as all six demigods cried, the reality of their situation finally setting in.

AWWWWWWW, That's a little more about Angelica and her backstory for you. Next chapters going to be exciting so I'm excited to write it! ( If you got the Hunger Games reference, you are officially the best)

:)
Vote, Comment and stay safe

- Daughter of Athena 8527 <3