Carriages & Curiosity

Fenris was confused at first, something was digging into his leg. It took him a moment to remember who was sleeping in his tent, Unfortunately, I can't kick her to wake up since she'll annoy me even more. He sighed and settled into his bed, realising he would have to put up with her. She was sleeping with her head on his leg.

Why didn't I kick her out? It would've saved me all this trouble. He rolled his eyes and slumped back against the cushions, staring up at the canvas ceiling of the tent.

He was uncomfortable, no one other than Nash had ever slept in his tent. His hands itched with anticipation, he wanted to shove her out of his way but something stopped him as he sat up.

He noticed she was sleeping peacefully, Edeva had a small smile on her face. She's free from her nightmares, at least for now.

He grit his teeth and looked away, clutching the blankets between his fists. I wish I could say the same. But she's in here. He sighed, knowing he wasn't going to get any more sleep with her in his way.

Gently, Fenris slid his leg out from beneath her head and climbed out of the mess of blankets he was encased in. He barely breathed when he approached the bottom of the bed, fearful of waking her as he stepped over.

He grit his teeth in annoyance, realising how easy it was for him to lift her. Did she eat anything out there? He looked away, trying not to focus on her face too much as he carried her to the opposite side of the bed.

She hadn't moved a muscle, he slowly breathed out a sigh as he lowered her onto the bed. She was so small, she didn't look like she'd survive a slap, let alone a brutal beating.

He seethed quietly, trying to remind himself that she was okay, he'd gotten to the cellar in time. Edeva was okay now.

He thought as he gathered the blankets and covered her with them, Do I care that I wasn't the one that did this, or do I care that it happened to someone like her. He shook his head, grumbling. I don't care at all. I just expected something else. He cursed the rumours about her.

She was nothing like the poisonous ladies of the court, whether she was pretty or not he didn't bother to think.
He didn't want to.

She's not like them. And she's not a murderer either. She hasn't got the heart to be.

He moved back to the other side of the bed, sitting down carefully. If she isn't a murderer, then what happened that day at the palace? He sighed and settled himself in the bed until he was comfortable. For once, he didn't mind Edeva being close by, he realised he almost enjoyed it. What's wrong with me?.. His thoughts blurred until sleep took hold of him once again.
~ ~ ~
Edeva woke up with a groan, her limbs felt heavy and she felt wrapped up in something warm. She pulled herself out from beneath the covers. This bed is softer than I remember. She sat up carefully.

She grimaced at the sound of cursing. Her back bumped into something hard. Cautiously she turned around, Fenris rubbed his eyes before giving her a tired smirk. "Sleep well?"

She stretched her legs, noticing that she had somehow gotten tangled in a silver blanket. I didn't put that there. She smiled at him. "As well as I could, having to listen to a train." Fenris put a hand on his heart, giving her a dramatic swoon, "Oh how you wound me, and it's not even dawn yet." She scoffed and kicked off the blankets.

She noticed she wasn't sitting at the bottom of the bed, instead, she was on the right side. She raised an eyebrow at Fenris, "Did you move me?" He shrugged and ran a hand through his hair.

His auburn curls were more prominent now, sticking up slightly from his mussed hair. "I couldn't sleep comfortably with you in the way. There was enough space." She noticed his unconcerned expression.