Chapter 3

I jumped off the streetcar as it coasted to a stop in front of Candy Land and made my way to the sheriff's office. Sheriff Licorice waited outside, preening away at his reflection in the office's spotless plate glass window. I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes.

"Sheriff Licorice. Thanks for meeting me. Too bad it's not under better circumstances."

Licorice turned to me, twisting the end of his overly waxed mustache between his fingers. His oiled, red locks created a mane around his pointy head.

"Jill," he crooned. "So good to see you again." He frowned then. "I suppose you want to dispose of the pleasantries and get down to business."

"That would be for the best," I answered. "What can you tell me about the crime scene?"

Licorice's frown deepened. "I would hardly call it a crime scene, more of an unfortunate accident. We see it up here all the time. People pop into Candy Land for some unrestrained sugar splurging, and then one thing leads to another, and well, you know our motto." He gestured to the welcome sign I'd passed on my way into town. 'What happens in Candy Land stays in Candy Land,' it announced in bold font.

"Regardless, I would like to examine any evidence and see the body."

Licorice sighed as if he were ravenous and just discovered his cupboards were bare. "Fine, I'll get my things, and we'll head up to the Molasses Swamp. The medical examiner is up there now."

I nodded and took in my surroundings. Candy Land's bright colors and glossy exterior hid a darker side to this sugary local. Licorice was correct. Knave's death wasn't the first to befall a visitor. But those had been folks on vacation, ready to let their hair down. Knave had been here on a quick business errand. Although Knave had a reputation as a bad boy, I wanted to believe he'd turned a corner. Plus, there was that strange phone call he'd made to the bakery, either accidentally or intentionally.

As I ran through the details of the case, I noticed the edge of a lacy, blue frock peeking out from behind a bush growing at the side of the sheriff's office. Curious, I moved to investigate.

"Excuse me, do you need anything?" I asked.

A cry escaped the older woman's mouth as she jumped to face me. "Oh, no, nothing at all. I was getting a bit of respite from the sun here in the shade. The heat can be such a burden to us older folk."

I nodded and introduced myself. "I'm here investigating the death of the Knave of Hearts. Did you happen to see him today? About yay tall, black hair, thin, riding a motorcycle?"

"Oh, not today, but we often exchanged pleasantries in the past," she replied, fanning herself with her hand, making her light brown curls bob in the breeze.

"I understand. If you remember anything, please don't hesitate to give me a call." I pulled a damp, coffee-stained card from my pocket. "Sorry. Coffee accident at a bakery this morning. What was your name again?" I asked, knowing she hadn't offered it in the first place.

"Gramma Nut," she smiled and tucked the card into her apron pocket.

"Jill," Sheriff Licorice called. "Ready to go?" He jingled the patrol car keys as if he were a fine lady with bells on his toes. Which, come to think of it, wouldn't be an unflattering look on him.

I turned and waved at the pointy mustached sheriff, then returned my attention to Gramma Nut to take my leave, but she'd disappeared. I scanned the area for any sign of her but found none. Now that's one spry old woman, I thought as I turned to join Licorice.